PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know any discus breeders in the Sacramento CA area?

ihavefishwantmore
05-30-2007, 12:28 AM
I am going to the ACA in July and I would like to buy some discus directly from a breeders tank. Do you know of anyone in the Sacramento CA area that might have some for sale?

White Worm
05-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Look up international discus here on simply. Kenny could probably bring some up or you could take a scenic drive to his place in Oakland/Daly City.

April
05-30-2007, 02:14 AM
well lots will have them there..for sale. theres also an auction on sunday at the aca.
a tip though..get all your fihs from one person..not one from here..one from there..very risky. one year alot of people ended up with problems.
kenny is a good choice..nice fish. talk to him first..see what he has .

poconogal
05-30-2007, 08:28 AM
Yep, talk to Kenny - International Discus.

tpl*co
05-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I am going to the ACA in July and I would like to buy some discus directly from a breeders tank. Do you know of anyone in the Sacramento CA area that might have some for sale?

Hey, I've heard we are going on a discus sight seeing (buying) trip on Friday of the ACA? :).

Tina

CliffsDiscus
05-31-2007, 06:25 PM
There will be a Cichlid Auction probably on the last day of the ACA Convention so there should
be plenty of Discus.

Cliff

Kindredspirit
05-31-2007, 08:27 PM
I will be there! Will be good to see you again ( without the ticket:p ) Cliff!:)

Polar_Bear
05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
btw Cliff also happens to have some very nice discus, he is in The City.

brewmaster15
05-31-2007, 08:34 PM
If anyone goes to cliffs or any others out there...please be sure to take many pictures for the forum...

Thanks!

-al

Kindredspirit
05-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Okay!....I have some from two years ago....:)

Polar_Bear
05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
I'll be dropping by Cliff's during the ACA. I promise to take lots of photos Al. I'll also be at Kenny's and will take as many photos as he allows me to, I especially want to see the warehouse.

Kindredspirit
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Oh yeah.....you owe me dinner:D

White Worm
05-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I shall be there also. I may make the trip when you are there Larry because I have yet to see the warehouse. I've been to the Magic garage many times and to their store in oakland but I have not seen the hidden warehouse treasures. i have not yet been to cliffs but that is something I would like to also do in the future. Maybe Kenny could go also.

ihavefishwantmore
06-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Thanks for your responses.
Cliff I hope you got the email I sent you regarding your stock.
Tina if there is a discus buying trip I want to go.
I will contact Kenny, but my preference would be to buy fish someone is raising, not importing. I would like to see the parents, and pick out some quality fish. I have bought and raised a lot of fish over the years, and I believe the best way to buy to pick them out of the breeders tank.
Again; I appreciate the feedback, and would love to hear any other suggestions.
Mike

alxjss
06-03-2007, 09:26 AM
How do u no if there is a show in ur area? I have yet to find something like that. Can anyone tell me?

mmorris
06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
How do u no if there is a show in ur area? I have yet to find something like that. Can anyone tell me?

Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine has a `Calendar Events' bit in the back. They also have a `Clubs' section. Its a nice magazine, I think, it you aren't familiar with it. Martha

ihavefishwantmore
06-03-2007, 11:47 PM
When you say a show, do you mean the ACA convention? They are yearly in July. It is held in different cities all over the U.S. You could look in a fish magazine for a local fish club.

Kindredspirit
06-04-2007, 08:23 AM

You could start here, Eileen ~

http://www.cichlid.org/ACA2007Convention.html

White Worm
07-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Went by a couple lfs's in Sac recently to see if the discus world has changed much. Most havent :(. Terrible quality in most places but.........I did make a visit again to JOJO's aquariums on Stockton in Sac and I was very impressed by the quality. They all had great color, shape and were very eager to come to you if your put your hand near the top of the tank. I have never seen that quality in a lfs before. The only down side is they sell what is called a horn discus which I think is just a deformity but it is missing most of its upper head area (like someone took a bite out of it). Although it was ugly, it was still colorful, healthy and eager to come to the top of the tank like the rest. The only other downside was the price but they do have to keep the lights on and make a profit:(. I guess I have just been spoiled by getting good prices, quality and larger discus from Kenny @ International.

ihavefishwantmore
07-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Thanks I will check out JOJO's. Just to look unless there is something pretty awsome. Unfortunately Kenny will not be availible for a visit durring the show. I would have liked to see someones fishroom and buy some fish.

April
07-13-2007, 02:43 AM
that socalled horned discus..is a genetic defect..cant believe they are trying to sell it as something unique and special.

Kindredspirit
07-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Unfortunately Kenny will not be availible for a visit durring the show.

"the show".......is two hours away from his warehouse. That would pretty much make him unavailable during a show he has entered fish in....:D

Kindredspirit
07-13-2007, 07:23 AM
that socalled horned discus..is a genetic defect..cant believe they are trying to sell it as something unique and special.

I thought so! April, gots a pic? Or...I could just go see it:D If I had the time and inclination:)

ihavefishwantmore
07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I inadvertently called the ACA convention the show. I have talked to Kenny and he sounds like a great guy. I have no hard feelings toward him because he is not available ( yes I am disappointed). Everyone just keeps directing me to him, but he cannot see me. I know there has to be other people breeding discus in such a populated area. I just don’t know how to find them. Maybe I will get lucky and run into someone at the convention.