PDA

View Full Version : bio-ball filtration acrylic tank

jack396
05-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I just received a gift, which is a 90 gallon acrylic tank with a Rio power head w. bio-ball filtration system. It is filled with water but i have some apprehensions about how efficient and controlable it is going to be. First of all, are the bio-balls supposed to be immersed all of the time. I had always thought the water was supposed to pass over them as in a waterfall, but in this system the water passes through them with all of the balls submerged.

There is no possibility for over the side filtration becuase the tank does not have sides like a glass tank but has openings on the top of the tank.

It's a nice tank for discus as it is tall at 24 ". Has anyone had a bioball fration system? The picture of the tank can be found at:
http://www.advanceaquatanks.com/uniqrectangle.html

Thanks for any help

Jack:confused:

Graham
05-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Jack Bio-balls as with any other submerged media will work quite fine. The nitrifiers will grow on anything.

Polar_Bear
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree with Graham. While wet/dry systems do tend to be a bit more efficient, since they have the benefit of atmospheric O2, totally submerged systems also work fine. Nitrifiers are aerobic bacteria literally meaning they "breathe" air, since O2 is also dissolved in most aquarium waters they do fine. I mention this since they will tend to rob a bit of O2 from the water column, in the real world this is a very low consideration though.

jack396
05-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks, guys, WHen I first looked over the set-up I had my worries. Your posts have reassured! :D

jack396
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I agree with Graham. While wet/dry systems do tend to be a bit more efficient, since they have the benefit of atmospheric O2, totally submerged systems also work fine. Nitrifiers are aerobic bacteria literally meaning they "breathe" air, since O2 is also dissolved in most aquarium waters they do fine. I mention this since they will tend to rob a bit of O2 from the water column, in the real world this is a very low consideration though.

Graham,

I must tell you that your saying on the bottom of your quotes has become a mantra for me. I think of it every night when i'm doing my wc's!