PDA

View Full Version : more snails

redmosquito1
05-31-2007, 11:16 PM
I am thinking of getting a snail cause my pleco can't keep the glass, rocks and wood clean anymore. so would a snail do a better job? or should I get bristle/bushy nosed pleco? better question would be if I did go the snail route which snail to get, will it multiply like crazy, and what is the likely hood of diseases being carried in even after QT?

will a BN be able to survive with a common pleco?

phidelt85
05-31-2007, 11:53 PM
I would pull the common out and put in a group of BNs

Ryan
06-01-2007, 12:35 AM
I would give the BN plecos a try first. Take the common pleco to the LFS or put him in another non-discus tank.

If you can't find good BNs locally or they're expensive (the ones here in my store are like $19.99 a piece!) there are several connections here on the forum for good quality BN plecos.

Ryan

redmosquito1
06-01-2007, 05:22 PM
wow, $19.99 is a lot of dough. and what counts as a group? like 2-3 or 5-6?

Camden
06-01-2007, 06:46 PM
how big is the tank your putting the BN in?

senso
06-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Snails not a great idea. A few snails left unchecked will become a few hundred rather quickly. Bn or ottos, depending on the sort of algae you are dealing with

redmosquito1
06-02-2007, 12:14 PM
well the tank is 40 long. and I think I have 2 types of algea, where the substrate meets the rocks it is really green it used to be brown algea but it was taken over by the current green. That tends to come off in sheets when I scrape it. then I have som bright green spots on the front of the tank. I can scrape those off easily

Ed13
06-02-2007, 01:13 PM
I would give the BN plecos a try first. Take the common pleco to the LFS or put him in another non-discus tank.

If you can't find good BNs locally or they're expensive (the ones here in my store are like $19.99 a piece!) there are several connections here on the forum for good quality BN plecos.

Ryan

Wow, $19.99 is a lot! There are many transhippers and importers of SA fish in Fl, you would think you'd find them cheaper! We used to get BN from the importers in Miami and they were resold at $3.99 retail for small ones and even the jumbos(4-5") were resold at under $14.99. It could be the market though

well the tank is 40 long. and I think I have 2 types of algea, where the substrate meets the rocks it is really green it used to be brown algea but it was taken over by the current green. That tends to come off in sheets when I scrape it. then I have som bright green spots on the front of the tank. I can scrape those off easily

Do a search for cyanobacteria, see if thats the green stuff near the substrate you mention