PDA

View Full Version : breeding cycle

dogday7
06-02-2007, 04:02 PM
what is the breeding cycle of discus??? I know they lay eggs every 5 to 7 days. Do they quit for a while and then start up again?? and how long does it take to start up again?? and also is there a season that Discus prefer??
ty,
John

wilkes
06-02-2007, 07:07 PM
john im no expert still novice but from what ive read on simply they breed most of the time in the aquarium but i think it is seasonal in the wild but if im wrong im sure that some one else will set you right sorry i could not be more helpful but as i said im still learning myself . wilkes

White Worm
06-03-2007, 03:24 AM
what is the breeding cycle of discus??? I know they lay eggs every 5 to 7 days. Do they quit for a while and then start up again?? and how long does it take to start up again?? and also is there a season that Discus prefer??
ty,
John

a good pair will lay eggs every week or so but this can be bad because that means nothing was fertilized. There is no set number of days for all discus. There is no set schedule for that matter. They could be very active or once in a blue moon. They seem to breed no matter what the season in the aquarium. For me, I would say that you will get to know the pair and their behaviors so you can make a good guess. I can time the female that I am working with right now down to within a couple of days of her being ready to lay eggs. Once they lay a good batch and have wrigglers, you shouldnt have any more eggs (I take out their cone) for about 3-4 weeks while they raise the fry. After the fry are seperated, the pair may start right back up. Mine did.