PDA

View Full Version : Wigglers for the first time?

Troy Williams
06-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Hello, It has finaly happened. I have around 10 fry only was 15???
When do they go free swimming? & what do ineed to do.

They are in a 65gal tank. i have a sponge filter either end in the corner. Should i remove them & use an air stone only?

Any help will do thanks.
Troy

Elite Aquaria
06-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Congradulations...Now the fun will start.

When I get wigglers, I do a 50% water change with Tap water to start to raise the uS count. I match the temp and PH to the tank water. Then I wait until they are free swimming. Once free swimming I lower the tank water to about 2 inches above the dorsal fin of the parents and remove the filter 100%...I also only feed the parents once maybe twice a day but only live California Black worms. You can only do this if your water is in excellent condition. If I do not lower the water and remove the bubbles the fry never attach to the parents. I guess this is an issue that I have since I have red based fish.

Dan

Tropical Haven
06-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Congrats on the wigglers, keep us posted.

Airex
06-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Basically eggs will hatch after 3-4 days and the wrigglers will be free swimming after 3-4 days so the whole process will take about a week depending on temp. Anyway, fries are attracted to dark objects, so its better to remove any dark objects if there is any. You may want to feed them BBS after 5 days