PDA

View Full Version : Quick Cure, 3 days enough?

guille2007
06-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Is it enough Quick Cure 3 days of treatment for gill fluke suspect?, I have seen ppl to extend the treatment but what dangerous it could be?

johnm
06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I've never done this but I have read about people using every 3 days: days 1, 4, 7, and 10 leaving in for 8 hours followed by a 50% water change. Hope this helps

Graham
06-05-2007, 01:47 PM
For flukes it may not work at all, Prazi is a much better product for flukes.........but I'd give then a major water change and 24 hours then another round of treatments with it.

G

pcsb23
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
When I use FMG I dose at the prescribed rate, 2 drops a gallon will be about right, but better to use a measuring syringe. I don't bother doing a w/c other than my normal routine so will leave the FMG in the tank between w/c's. I will normally treat for three consecutive days, doing daily 50% w/c's. I will rest the tank for 2 dyas then repeat. I do this at least three times, often four, when treating for flukes. I have found it to be very effective.

kaceyo
06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Paul,
Do you use QuickCure or another brand? The Q-Cure I have says to add one drop/gal and not to increase dosage. I've used it at 1drop/gal and then added more formalin to bring that up to 2 drops/gal for flukes.

Kacey

Polar_Bear
06-05-2007, 06:08 PM
When I use FMG I dose at the prescribed rate, 2 drops a gallon will be about right, but better to use a measuring syringe. I don't bother doing a w/c other than my normal routine so will leave the FMG in the tank between w/c's. I will normally treat for three consecutive days, doing daily 50% w/c's. I will rest the tank for 2 dyas then repeat. I do this at least three times, often four, when treating for flukes. I have found it to be very effective.

The reason for this is that Formalin does not kill the fluke eggs, so follow up treatments are important. I still like PP for gill flukes and do a treatment and then a follow up treatment 10- 14 days later. This has always worked extremely well for me, Use the PP at 2 ppm.

pcsb23
06-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Kacey as far as I know we don't get the brandQuickCure here in the UK. I tend to use premixed FMG (which is all quickcure is), various UK based brands from NT Labs to Kusuri.

I understand Quick Cure to be FMG based, I wonder though if it contains copper.

kaceyo
06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Nope, no copper. Just F&MG. I'd guess it would be safe at 2 drops/gal but they are reluctant to advise it for some reason. All of the manufactured mixes I've seen that had dose levels listed were at the minimum level of meds.

Kacey

Graham
06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
No copper...Here's the MSDS for QuickCure

http://www.aq-products.com/AP%20MSDS%20Sheets/QUICK-CURE%20QC%20ISSUE%201%20.pdf

guille2007
06-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Quick Cure 1 drop per gallons as prescribed by manufacter, they say no more than 3 days however I have seen ppl to extend it for more days

Kindredspirit
06-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Nope, no copper. Just F&MG. I'd guess it would be safe at 2 drops/gal but they are reluctant to advise it for some reason. All of the manufactured mixes I've seen that had dose levels listed were at the minimum level of meds.

Kacey

Yup! No copper...Ingredients are Malachite Green and Formalin..I have a bottle right here:)....It does say 1 drop per gal....but Paul, you think that 2drops per gal is safe?

You can not use Quick Cure on your baby whales, though:D

pcsb23
06-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Wasn't sure about all the ingredients, knew it was fmg based, but wondered if copper was involved, the warning about exceeding the dose made me cautious.

With stock FMG mixes it is safe to go to 2 drops per gallon. On occaisions 3 drops per gallon can be used, though I would rarley go this high, it is very stressful for the fish and will nail your biofilter. At 2 drops per gallon your biofilter will be set back a bit but, provided it is properly matured, will bounce back quickly. My dosing regime is effectively 2 drops per gallon.

White Worm
06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
The reason for this is that Formalin does not kill the fluke eggs, so follow up treatments are important. I still like PP for gill flukes and do a treatment and then a follow up treatment 10- 14 days later. This has always worked extremely well for me, Use the PP at 2 ppm.

Do you use a stock solution? How do you measure it? Drops per gallon? Does it work on fry? Does it kill the eggs and why 10-14 days later? Sorry about all the questions but I know others who prefer PP but it can be dangerous if not used correctly and I have heard it is very good for cleaning up the fish of any external and some internal issues. It does affect your bio filter also right? I have it but I have not yet used it because I dont know how much crystal to mix. I know most just go by medium to dark purple color for 2-4 hours but I need to be sure with more accuracy so I dont kill anything.

Graham
06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Don't go by colour...it could be anywhere from 1ppm to 6ppm. use a set solution and drops or weigh out X number of mg/l.

It also will have no effect on anything internal...strickly external

While they're talking much larger bodies of water, you may find these thread interesting. it's still the same basic thing....
The cast of posters is very impressive..
JR...fish gruru
Waddy author and probably the top koi dealer in the world
Roddy Conrod...PhD in chemistry
Thom Blischok Az. multi millionaire with his own staff of Vets and rersearchers looking at koi
Brett...fisheries biologist and fish farmer in Tx

kaceyo
06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Which thread is that, Graham?

Graham
06-06-2007, 06:32 PM
:blushing::o:embarassed: DUH sorry about that

http://members4.boardhost.com/koimag/msg/1181003644.html

White Worm
06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Interesting. This is probably why I have heard about color dosage. Many people refer to it this exact way. Kinda like the MB color dosage. I agree, with something as toxic as PP, you should be exact in the measurements when using it.

To tell how much PP concetration I've got in such a situation, I look at the color of the water. Trying for Passion Pink, Welch's Grape Juice is too much, brown water, not enough.
Brett

This is probably why Larry uses this exact dosage.

At an active 1.5 to 2 ppm PP treatment, limit the treatment to less than 8 hours, preferably 4 to 6 hours, to avoid gill damage

Good Reading! Thanks G.

Graham
06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Keep watching the thread...it could get interesting with these guys.

Brett produces something like 2 million pounds of Talipia, Bass, and catfish per year with koi production as a hobby. He can be a very funny guy when he gets going

kaceyo
06-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Very informative Graham. Thanks for the link.

Kacey

guille2007
06-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I think that MGF has the same risk as PP based on gill damaged fish to that kind of treatment, I think that discus may be treated as sensitive fishes like tetras or catfishes and maybe to extend the treatment for more days at half doseage.

Graham
06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Very informative Graham. Thanks for the link.

Kacey

Check out Thoms response back to Roddy...I'm still looking up words:p:(

White Worm
06-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Wow, when you are done with that dictionary, could ya lend it to me?

fishmama
06-07-2007, 11:26 PM
OMG!

"thoughts from a simple koi keeper"....LOL! That Thom is outrageous...luv him!!! Great thread and such a fun challenge to read.

fishmama
06-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh...and don't forget to check out the "koi for sale"...cha-ching...bring a big fat wallet:

e.g.
69cm female Sansai Showa $4000 (nope, didn't typo those zeroes)

And my husband thought discus were pricey....gotta share that link and build my case!