PDA

View Full Version : Kh Question

orfan
06-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Dears :
I mix well and R/O water to be of the following parameters :
Gh: 3 , Kh : 4 , Ph: 7.7 .... then I add Muriatic Acid to reduce Ph to : 6.5
but I notice the Kh becomes : 0 :confused:

My question is : Why Kh becomes zero after adding Muriatic Acid and where it is gone?:confused:

Please explain it to me.
Awaiting for your reply.
Orfan

dandestroy
06-06-2007, 12:41 AM
CaCl

White Worm
06-06-2007, 02:23 AM
Why reduce your Ph?

orfan
06-06-2007, 02:26 AM
I reduce it to get better breeding chances only.
Regards.
Orfan

White Worm
06-06-2007, 02:31 AM
For breeding, I wouldnt be so concerned with Ph, your Gh is good and that is what has a large impact on the egg membrane and the fertilization.

poconogal
06-06-2007, 08:42 AM
I have well water which ranges in PH from 7.8 in spring/summer then up to 8.4 in fall/winter. My tank's PH gradually rises and falls during the seasons with WCs as well since I use straight tap and do nothing to my water.

I have 3 spawning pairs and regularly get wigglers to freeswimmers (then they are eaten in a community tank). Your water is fine for breeding and there's no reason to lower your PH. My tank is currently at 7.8. Your water is very similar to mine, higher PH but soft, as my dkh is 4 and dgh is 4. Also, anything you do to lower PH affects your KH.

Polar_Bear
06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Adding the dilute HCl "eats" your KH. This is why you no longer show any KH. What happens is, your carbonates "rob' the HCl of it's hydrogen cations, changing them into non-carbonates. This is exactly what you would expect to see. IMO a much better solution for you would be to use more RO water and less, or no, HCl.

jack396
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Dears :
I mix well and R/O water to be of the following parameters :
Gh: 3 , Kh : 4 , Ph: 7.7 .... then I add Muriatic Acid to reduce Ph to : 6.5
but I notice the Kh becomes : 0 :confused:

My question is : Why Kh becomes zero after adding Muriatic Acid and where it is gone?:confused:

Please explain it to me.
Awaiting for your reply.
Orfan

As I understand it, KH is a measure of alkalinity, and alkalinity is synonomous with buffering strength. When you add the acid you are eating up the buffering strength, hence the lower KH reading. hth

orfan
06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Dear Polar Bear:
What is IMO that you mentioned? Please explain.
Regards.
Orfan

White Worm
06-07-2007, 12:18 PM
In My Opinion