PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to build a nice display tank that is NOT planted?

Megalops
06-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm in the process of setting up my first planted tank, which I will eventually like to make a discus display tank. I do know that there is a reasonable probability that this is going to end in catastrophe (mostly because of algae problems), so I'm looking for a backup plan. Is it possible to build a nice aquascape for discus that doesn't require live plants?

I've searched for photos on the web, but only seem to find either the standard bare bottom discus tank or beautiful planted discus tanks.

RyanH
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I really like the look of lots of driftwood and a thin layer of sand. It's closer to what Discus habitat actually looks like in the wild anyway.

Welcome to Simply BTW.:)

poddan
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Why not try to make a blackwater tank?
Alot of wood and dark bottom.
Low ph

This is from a swedish discusforum member. Looks awesome
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1821/akvariumetja6.jpg

Some info about the tank.
pH: ~6,5
temp.: 29-30C

Lightning:
3x spotlights
wc once every two week
375 liters tank.

fishmama
06-07-2007, 01:38 PM
poddan...that is a very interesting tank indeed! Not sure the beautiful discus would show up in it though :-(

I agree with Ryan-there are some awesome tanks of sand and driftwood only (there are also some realistic silk plant options out there these days).

Blue Ram
06-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I have a 55 gal with ivory coloured sand & manzanita branches. It creates a very simple peaceful look with the discus being the focal point.
I also recently converted a 50 gal into barebottom. It has a centerpiece of bogwood and some potted live plants and again I think it is pleasing to look at because you concentrate on the fish more. A bare bottom tank can be quite nice with the right decor.

tpl*co
06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I have a 55 gal with ivory coloured sand & manzanita branches. It creates a very simple peaceful look with the discus being the focal point.
I also recently converted a 50 gal into barebottom. It has a centerpiece of bogwood and some potted live plants and again I think it is pleasing to look at because you concentrate on the fish more. A bare bottom tank can be quite nice with the right decor.

Can you post a picture of it :).

I agree, there are some beautiful tanks with just wood :). You can also use the wood with some anubias and moss on it too.

Tina

Megalops
06-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'd love to see some photos of these. Does anyone know where there might be some pics on the net?

Blue Ram - I too would love to see pics of your tanks.

Megalops
06-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Can you post a picture of it :).

I agree, there are some beautiful tanks with just wood :). You can also use the wood with some anubias and moss on it too.

Tina

Would I have to add CO2 and dose ferts for anubias and moss?

If the planted idea doesn't work, I'd like to go with a maintenance free design (with the exception of water changes of course).

RyanH
06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'd love to see some photos of these. Does anyone know where there might be some pics on the net?

Blue Ram - I too would love to see pics of your tanks.

Have you looked around in the showtank and biotope section? There are pics posted in there. You can also look through the picture section.

Megalops
06-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Have you looked around in the showtank and biotope section? There are pics posted in there. You can also look through the picture section.

I had searched in those sections, but I found most of the pictures in the photo section to be close-ups of fish, and planted tanks in the showtank/biotope section. I will go back and search some more now that I know there will be some to be found.

tpl*co
06-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Would I have to add CO2 and dose ferts for anubias and moss?

If the planted idea doesn't work, I'd like to go with a maintenance free design (with the exception of water changes of course).

No, very low maintance :). I don't dose beyond what my fish put out :). Maybe have some clean-up crew like bristlenose plecos or snails for any algae on the leaves (you still must feed the BN though) and you're set :). Many gorgeous tanks are done this way :).

Here's a bb tank from Dan:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=50294

On my 130, I do have some substrate in the back and I put in some fert tabs for the swords, but otherwise that's it :). I have some just anubias, fern moss tanks I don't do anything with. Best yet, they are low light and you can probably get away with 0.5 to 1 watt per gallon :)

Tina

Blue Ram
06-07-2007, 10:14 PM
As requested I have posted some pictures of my tank. They are in the photo gallery. Enjoy!