PDA

View Full Version : Fry Size Poll

Polar_Bear
06-10-2007, 01:52 PM
I was talking to Sqiuggy the other day about fry size. We have come to the conclusion that fry are no longer fry, but are juveniles once they start to get coloration on their bodies and especially their eyes. This of course shows no bearing as to size, mainly because, just like people, discus come in a wide variety of sizes. I thought I would put this poll out to see what others think.

Green Country Discus
06-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I just voted for 1". That is when they take on the Discus shape. Color and eye color come later. At 1" they look like Discus and can not be confused with other, not so note worthy cichlids ;) ! I like the rest but, Discus are King!!

brewmaster15
06-10-2007, 09:30 PM
By definition...

Generally the fry stage is the second stage of developement.... Its usually the period of time that ranges from when the fish has hatched to the time when it has used up its yolk sac and is feeding on their own.

http://www.aquamedia.org/production/culturemethods/cycle_en.asp

The above link is where that info comes from...interestingly that time in some cold water fish species like trout and salmon can last weeks..

I guess by that definition we can look at Discus as being fry for the first day or less of their lives. as thats when the yolk sac is consummed..:)..or I guess we can expand it to cover the time period they need to be feeding off substrate or parents sides..usually 2-3 days before they can take other foods.,,Either way, they are technically only "fry" for only a few days.. but I like Andrews definition better:)

hth,
al

Polar_Bear
06-10-2007, 10:44 PM
By definition...

Generally the fry stage is the second stage of developement.... Its usually the period of time that ranges from when the fish has hatched to the time when it has used up its yolk sac and is feeding on their own.

http://www.aquamedia.org/production/culturemethods/cycle_en.asp

The above link is where that info comes from...interestingly that time in some cold water fish species like trout and salmon can last weeks..

I guess by that definition we can look at Discus as being fry for the first day or less of their lives. as thats when the yolk sac is consummed..:)..or I guess we can expand it to cover the time period they need to be feeding off substrate or parents sides..usually 2-3 days before they can take other foods.,,Either way, they are technically only "fry" for only a few days.. but I like Andrews definition better:)

hth,
al

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that is interesting. I have to then ask, if fry are only fry for a few days only, what then are they at that in-between stage, where they are not yet juveniles but too big to be considered fry? Not to argue with your findings Al, just curious. Babies?

The problem I have with Andrew's definition is that different strains grow at different rates, so I was trying to get away from size alone.

CliffsDiscus
06-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I would say about 1 inch, can't go by color since many Discus are juiced up.

Cliff

brewmaster15
06-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi Larry,
Just going by the definition used in aquaculture for "fry"... Its basically when they have a yolk sack that gives them their food...It varies in time for all species....but I do know in discus and angels that time is less than a day...technically.

I think after that stage they are usually called Larval or juvenile. WE have artificially expanded the "fry" time, and as such....not sure we can really define when it ends as it becomes subjective.

Something like this..

egg
hatch
fry
juvenile
adult.

Generally when we talk about stages of development in a biological sense we are talking about clear developmental changes... ei.. Yolk sack

Some fish are called fingerlings, smolt etc...in that stage before or as part of "juvenile"

Definetly not an expert here....just going by what I read after you and Joe raised an interesting question:)

-al