PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful ABNs from Elite Aquaria(Dan)

Kenny's Discus
06-12-2007, 08:32 AM
A few weeks ago I received some beautiful long fin ABNs from Dan(Elite Aquaria), they were about 2.5-3". I've never had ABNs before and I'm truly amazed as to how effective they can keep the whole tank clean...since I got them I haven't cleaned anything inside of these tanks. I should have gotten them long time ago!

Aside from receiving these gorgeous, very healthy ABNs, Dan also did an excellent job packing them...not a single bag has any leak at all. That must be due to all the past experience with shipping your champion guppies Dan.:thumbsup:

Thank you so much my friend, wished I had bought more.:o

Some pics of them when they first arrived...

Kenny's Discus
06-12-2007, 08:35 AM
acclimating in a bucket...

Kenny's Discus
06-12-2007, 08:38 AM
finally in the tanks...they are working machines.:)

Again Dan, thanks so much for getting these beauties to me...appreciated all your help and that's on behalf of all my local friends who received them. I'm sure 1 of my good friend Jeff(jchan108) will thank you soon.(he and his friend got a few, you can see these ABNs in his tank:))

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=57920

I would highly recommend anyone to inquire about these ABNs(both short fin and long fin) from Dan if they're looking to get some, great great person to deal with!

Kenny

turkis
06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
finally in the tanks...they are working machines.:)

Again Dan, thanks so much for getting these beauties to me...appreciated all your help and that's on behalf of all my local friends who received them. I'm sure 1 of my good friend Jeff(jchan108) will thank you soon.(he and his friend got a few, you can see these ABNs in his tank:))

Kenny

Hi Kenny,
Nice long fins ABN's plecos from Dan, planning to get some but it is too far to be shipped and maybe you could bring some up If you decide to come up one day.;) ;)
Mario

:D :D :D

fishmama
06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Very nice...and long fin too!!!

Elite Aquaria
06-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Kenny, Glad I could help out you and your friends with these ABN's

Mario, Is that an invite? ;) ;) ;)

jack396
06-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Kenny,

A few questions: What does the ABN stand for? Are these fish able to handle the 90 + degree temps we sometimes use for the discus? Can they tolerate salt if we need to use it?

Thanks, buddy:)
Jack

ezeke1
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Those are beautiful ABNs Kenny! I just purchased one from the LFS and it only lived through 3 days in my tank. I was hoping it'd pull through but the water conditions in it's previous home was so poor. I may have to get in touch with Dan to get some of the beauties you have!

Ryan
06-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Kenny,

Congrats on the ABNs. I got mine from Chrisb here on the forum and I love them. They are great for cleaning up uneaten food in fry tanks and they keep all the slime off my glass, heaters, filters, and airline tubing in the discus tanks. Some of mine are getting to about 3" now and the males got really wide and developed their bristles. I'm glad I'm tripling the tank size soon because they need some room to stretch their fins :D

I don't think I could ever go back to not having them after seeing the amazing job they've done in all my tanks. Your workload just got a whole lot lighter!

Dan, they look awesome, great job with them!

Elite Aquaria
06-12-2007, 10:24 AM
jack396,

ABN stands for Albino Bristle Nose Plecos. Yes I use salt in the tanks with them. I have had them in water temp around 90 but not for a long time since they prefer lower temps. My breeder tanks have one and all my grow outs have 2. Those tanks are 84 and 86 all the time.

Dan

Elite Aquaria
06-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Ryan & ezeke1, Thanks and sorry you lost a yours...

Dan

Tropical Haven
06-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I never owned these guys before but if they do a great job on the tanks I may have to purchase some. I have always been afraid of them attaching to any of the discus. I have had this happen to me with other types.

greyhoundfan
06-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Coool.. told you Kenny!! Hey Dan I will be PM'ing you soon for more of these. I have 5 already.. figure I need 10 more for the tanks I'll be starting up.

Elite Aquaria
06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't have a lot until later in year at that size...but a few

Dan

Elite Aquaria
06-13-2007, 07:03 AM
I just purchased one from the LFS and it only lived through 3 days in my tank.

ezeke1,

How much did you pay for it at the LFS?

Dan

White Worm
06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I have bn's but I worry they would eat eggs? I dont have the albino though.

Squiggy
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
My BNs do a great job at cleaning...but for the last few months they have been stressing the discus by trying to attach every chance they get. Seems they need a dirtier tank to keep them occupied....:crazy:

Elite Aquaria
06-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Mikscus, My ABN's do not leave the filter are most of the time in the breeder tanks...becase when they do the pairs nip at there tails...

Squiggy, Mine attach some times but only when I do not feed my fish a lot...Some days I can not make it home for noon feeding...however, This is very rare in my fish room.

Dan

Kenny's Discus
06-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Mario, thanks I will rest assured I'll bring you a tank full of the long-fin ABNs! I might not have any LOL but I have a friend name Dan.;)

fishmama, thanks they do look quite "elegant" with their long sleeves/fins. I love them alot for both their looks and cleaning ability.

Dan, thank you so much again!!!

Ryan, I AGREE 100% totally with what you said about the ABNs. Those were exactly my experience with them as well. Before I had them I had to wipe everything down like weekly/bi-weekly and that's not only for 1 tank!:o Life is just so much easier having them in the tanks. I just have a couple question for anyone who's familiar with these lovely creatures:

1, Can we keep ABNs in breeding tanks? I know Dan sometimes keep them in there but would just like to hear others' experiences.

2, Exactly how big will they(M & F) grow? TL?

Jack, your questions have been answered by the ABN master!;) You should get some of them and see for yourself...you won't be disappointed!

David, I would highly recommend getting yourself some replacements from Dan, Chrisb or other ABN breeders here on the forum. The ones that I received from Dan we have absolutely no problems with them whatsoever and they eat everything, including algae of course.

Scott, I was told when they're fully grown they will still be smaller than the typical plecos. I think that shouldn't be too much of a concern but I'll see for myself. Either way currently I don't have them in my breeding tanks so I guess I'll be alright.;)

Reid, yeah thank you buddy! You opened the ABN paths for me LOL! I just love them!:)

Mike, that was my concern as well it's why I haven't tried to put them in with my pairs yet...we'll see.

Joe, may I ask if yours are the albino type? Just courious thanks.

Kenny

Ryan
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
1, Can we keep ABNs in breeding tanks? I know Dan sometimes keep them in there but would just like to hear others' experiences.

Kenny, I keep an ABN with my kribensis pair and they raise fry all the time. The kribs do a good job of keeping him away from the eggs and I would imagine the discus pairs would do the same. My plecos are much more active at night so if you leave a light on, there's less of a chance that they'll forage around and find the eggs. Also, if you put some zucchini in the tank and weight it down to the bottom, they'll most likely stay on that and avoid messing with anything else. This might be a good idea to use while the discus are sitting on eggs.

I also keep an ABN in my krib fry tank. I put the fry in the tank when they're about 2 - 3 weeks old and still quite tiny, but the pleco never touches them.

I'm not sure how big they grow, mine are all about 2 - 3". I read somewhere that the males get 4 - 5". Mine aren't quite that big yet but they did get really broad and bulky looking.

Ed13
06-14-2007, 11:16 AM

1, I've seen plenty of photos around from dif breeders using them and even other plecos with breeding pairs. I guess it may depend on each individual and on the pairs though as I know they love the taste and some do go for them but this appears to be the minority

2, I've seen bags of wilds with males up to 5" wihout fins, females the biggest was slightly bigger than 4" without tail. Kinda of hard to know TL with the long fins.