PDA

View Full Version : opinions on stripes?

paps
06-16-2007, 12:26 AM
What is the general opinion on the proper number of stress bars on discus? Also, stress bars that are split in 2 and that are wavy? I was always under the impression that a discus should have 9 straight bars to be considered acceptable, and any other number or wavey , split bars was a "junk" fish. Would any reputable dealers sell discus like this or is this an outdated standard?

Desert Diamond Discus
06-16-2007, 01:46 AM
Wavy bars doesnt make a fish junk- there are many fish especially the crosses with SS that have wavy bars that look great. SS have 12-14 bars and maybe even more soemtimes. so bars dont make the fish junk just out of the norm.
Oscar

Polar_Bear
06-16-2007, 02:49 AM
I disagree strongly with Oscar, wavy bars, too many bars, split bars, ALL make for an unacceptable discus. While in some strains 14 bars is accepted, it is certainly not acceptable IMO.

Rod
06-16-2007, 02:54 AM
wild discus sometimes have crooked and split barring, so it is considered quite normal imo. personally i try and avoid them, but there are plenty of nice discus about with slightly off bars.

brewmaster15
06-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Since the thread is an opinion thread:) I'll add mine... I prefer straight unbroken bars, but as Rod says many wilds have broken bars and I've yet to cull a wild for broken or split bars:) and as oscar said many discus have 14 bars...the snakes... which can be broken and wavy... I have also seen bars ranging from 5-12 on non-snakes.,,,then theres the barless discus like the mellons and Bds..:) They've got no bars at all!

-al

Don Trinko
06-16-2007, 08:08 AM
I like the bars and if I could get 2nd generation wild brons thats what I would have. Why are they called stress bars? Wild discus in good health have them.
Don T.

Don Trinko
06-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I ment wild browns. I am a bad speller but I can spell brown! Don T.

kaceyo
06-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't see any problem with broken or off # bars. Especialy since I'd have to cull most of the non SS offspring from some SS crosses. I don't like too much of it like when it dominates the appearence of the fish but in most cases they won't show on the adults anyways.

Kacey

Ed13
06-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Since the thread is an opinion thread:) I'll add mine... I prefer straight unbroken bars, but as Rod says many wilds have broken bars and I've yet to cull a wild for broken or split bars:) and as oscar said many discus have 14 bars...the snakes... which can be broken and wavy... I have also seen bars ranging from 5-12 on non-snakes.,,,then theres the barless discus like the mellons and Bds..:) They've got no bars at all!

-al
I agree with Al
Al if you ever feel the "need" to cull one of your wilds you know who to call;)

dandestroy
06-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Why are they called stress bars? Wild discus in good health have them.

Because when they are stress it bring out those thick dark line that look a lot like the roots that hangs in the water were they normally live, and therefore is great camouflage tools (this is the common theory at least)

So genetically speaking evolution by natural selection as probably favored discus having better camouflage than the one that don't, so they are likely to be a strong genetic trait. In a control environemental tank they don't need them much but they can still be stressed... its just their nature I guess, and its pretty hard to go against million years of evolution IMO.

My opinion, I like stress bar on some strain and patern, its create a very contrastive effect. But I like them straight... I can do with crooked one a bit if they all are in a similar disposition, but for sure I don't like the splitted one.

I also like the fact that they can appear or disappear, its pretty cool characteristic for a fish, but I'm not a big fan if they are to thick and if they stay strong and on all the time.

Tropical Haven
06-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Well since this is an opinion thread I guess I will chime in too, I pretty much like the barless discus. I don't mind a bar through the eye area but the least amount of bars the better. Solid and Spotted discus are my favorites.