PDA

View Full Version : Wrigglers not Wriggling

IceBud
06-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Hi,

My discus has laid eggs few times, but the parents have always eaten them. The previous time she laid, I made it to wriggler stage but they ate them in the end. Presently, she has spawned again 3 days ago. I can see that only a handful of eggs are fertilized, by looking at the black dot in it. However, they arent wriggling. Both parents are still taking good care of the eggs by guarding and blowing at them, even though many have turned white. They are sometimes pretty aggressive to each other. Are the wrigglers dead? Can someone also tell me what is the purpose of the parent blowing at the eggs?

Thanks alot.

Tropical Haven
06-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi,

Can someone also tell me what is the purpose of the parent blowing at the eggs?

Thanks alot.

This is just another way of fanning the eggs, the parents are moving water across them.

AADiscus
06-20-2007, 02:40 PM
If the eggs haven't hatched yet then they are not wigglers. They will not wiggler until they hatch which is aprrox 48-52 hrs after they are laid. If you are seeing some with a black dot but they end up not hatching you might want to check your water parameters.

IceBud
06-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. Breeding was once again a failure. Most of the eggs turned white. I did about 10% water change everyday, water temp 29C.