PDA

View Full Version : Do you know anyone in or around Sacramento CA that might have discus for sale?

ihavefishwantmore
06-18-2007, 07:17 PM
In my last post I recieved Cliff(planning to visit), and Kenny(possible). California has a large population. Are there no discus being bred? I don't care if they have one or a hundred varieties. I want some quality young discus that I can pick out of a tank. How many I buy just depends on what I find I like. I am looking for new breeding stock so I will be buying groups not individuals.
Help if you can.

Kindredspirit
06-18-2007, 08:13 PM
You know, you asked this before yes?....I think that if anyone would know of what you seek, it would be Cliff and Kenny ~

White Worm
06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
There are a couple of local stores in SAC that sell some nice discus. Did you try there? There are not many large scale breeders in our area that I know of and I have checked. Your best bet is Cliff or Kenny and they will know if there are any others in their area. Most from SAC to SF are small scale for hobby breeders and probably dont have the stock you are looking for. You will most certainly find what you are looking for through Cliff or Kenny. Good Luck and keep us informed with some pics.

Dennis The Mennis
06-18-2007, 11:14 PM
There used to be a gentleman in Orangevale that had quite a big setup. I can't remember his name but he was a nice guy. He welcomed me over and gave me a tour of his operation. If I remember right, he used to write for a mag. I remember Bing saying he had just interviewed him after he built his hatchery. That's how I met him. I wish I could give you more details, sorry.

I curious, about the local stores with Discus. What are the names and where are they? I'll be in the market myself in a few months. I really cannot remember seeing Discus in local stores. But I really haven't ventured into a fish store in over tens years. I'll have to get in the habit of looking for the again.

tpl*co
06-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Several people here would rather go to the coast (Daly City and Bay Area) to get their discus than the LFS.

Tina

White Worm
06-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Yes, I agree but there is one store in SAC that may have decent discus which is JOJO's aquariums (I think). I have been there and their discus are probably the best I have seen in a LFS which really isnt saying much. Exotic aquariums is the other but I didnt see much last time I was there about a month ago. New huge store, lots of tanks, lots of water, not much fish stock. You may see a trend though.....go with the southerners in cali, lol.

http://listings.allpages.com/ca-0132225362-sacramento.html
http://www.exotic-aquarium.com/index2.html

ihavefishwantmore
06-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Mikscus said: Most from SAC to SF are small scale for hobby breeders and probably dont have the stock you are looking for.
I am not nessisarily looking for large scale breeders. If you know someone with a pair that breeds I am interested in contacting them. I want groups of the same variety for future breeding so if a guy has a group of babies for sale I am interested. I can't imagine that with a large population like California there are not any hobbiests with fish for sale. I will only be down there for a short time so I need help finding these people.
I am tired of ordering in fish. I just want to pick them out of someones tank.
I have several pairs of my own so not every variety interests me, but if you know of someone with an active pair I would like to contact them.

Kindredspirit
06-21-2007, 07:32 PM
I think your best bet is to contact Kenny in San Francisco ~ 87 miles from Sac Town ~

Good Luck!

White Worm
06-21-2007, 08:25 PM
I can't imagine that with a large population like California there are not any hobbiests with fish for sale.

Well, I have been into discus for a couple years or so and trust me, if there was someone here that you would be interested in, I would probably know. I've looked around. I am sure that there is someone somewhere that may be doing it and just not know about simply. Try craigslist.com. All I can tell you is that no matter what you are looking for, kenny has it. He raises his own and he imports. You would be able to go to his place and pick them right out of the tanks (I have done it personally). When the ACA comes to town next month in SAC, I imagine that more contacts will be made that we were unaware of. People are joining simply daily so who knows, someone could pop up today or tomorrow and have discus for sale in our local area. You asked what we know and we are giving you the best options. With discus, thats what I would prefer. Kenny also has many varieties to choose from and I'll bet he could sell you some groups depending on the stock he has at the time.

ihavefishwantmore
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
I will write Kenny as soon as I am done writing this. I am sorry for my hesitance but imports have often brought me disease. Thanks for your help I will write him.
If anyone else has babies let me know.
I know raising discus is a little work, but there has to be more crazy people out there. Like you said I may meet some at the ACA. Are any of you going? The last one I went too was a good time.

White Worm
06-23-2007, 03:50 AM
I'll be there. I actually have a group of 30-40 babies right now but they just went freeswimming today and have really taken to mom. Very quick attachment.

ihavefishwantmore
06-23-2007, 04:06 PM
What color of discus are they?
Kenny will not be availible durring the ACA:(

Kenny's Discus
06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
What color of discus are they?
Kenny will not be availible durring the ACA:(

Hi ihavefishwantmore, Louis and I will be at the ACA but we won't be selling any fish there...but you're more than welcome to come to our fishroom afterwards to hand pick any imports you like. If imports is not what you're looking for and you don't mind getting frys a bit small in size, I currently have some frys that might reach about 1.5" by the time you come to the show. I posted some pics of the pairs/frys in the last couple weeks you can take a look here:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=398889#post398889

Mikscus should also have some nice spotted frys that you might be interested in, great guy to deal with.

Thanks,
Kenny

ihavefishwantmore
06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Those are some nice pairs in that link. If we can work it out I would be interested in some of their young. I like to buy young discus. They are less likely to have been picked through; removing the best ones, and there is less chance of them being stunted.
I am driving down with a group of people. I will be able to roadtrip between convention events, but I doubt that the others would apreciate me delaying the trip home.