PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sick fry Please!

rlong
06-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi,
I have my first batch of fry about 16 days free swimming. Some seem to be doing well at twice the size of some others. My main concern is that a lot of them spend most of their time on the bottom of the tank. Two are laying on their sides. I read a thread here of something simalar, Parisites? I have been feeding live brine and they all seem to go for it well enough.

This is in a 20 gallon tank with Mom, Dad got evicted when he started eat his offspring. I have been doing 50% water change daily and plan on increasing that to 50% twice a day.

I started dosing "Metro+" in case of parisites.

Anything alse I can do?

Polar_Bear
06-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Up your water changes, I would, and do, 4 times that amount. A 20 gallon can get very polluted, very quickly.

Darren's Discus
06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
How are they going ? how many fry do you have in a 20 gallon,i agree with polar that size tank will polute real quick with the heavy feedings for fry and yes it sounds like they should be fluked and wormed.

cheers

rlong
06-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi,
Thanks.
Okay. Water change, Water change, water change.....

Question: Should I be re-dosing the Metro+ with these water changes?

I changed 5 gallons this mormng 5am, then did the first dose of Metro+.

Then a 13 gallon water change just before this post 4pm

and now another 10 gallons just now.

sam_y
06-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Good advice on increasing water changes and tank space, which can definitely lessen the likelihood of future problems.

Besides not actively swimming around, do you notice them rubbing themselves against objects ("flashing")? Or gasping for breath? Or only one gill opening while the other is held shut? Discus fry around 2-3 weeks of age are extremely susceptible to gill flukes.. If your fry are displaying any of these symptoms I'd suggest treating with praziquental ("Prazi Pro", etc.).

rlong
06-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi,
Oh I forgot, someone asked how many fry in the tank.

I would say 25-30 fry.

Very little flashing, if any. in 15 munutes watching, 1 fish might flash "more like a twitch though".

I'll stay on it and let you know.

Green Country Discus
06-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Why Metro? Where did you get this advise :p? Clean water and filters and tank! Did I mention plenty of room. HTH

mmorris
06-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Clean water and filters and tank! Did I mention plenty of room. HTH This worked like magic for my sick fry! I do about 80-90 % twice a day for 25 fry (after culling) in a 29 gal. Martha

Rod
06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi,
I have my first batch of fry about 16 days free swimming. Some seem to be doing well at twice the size of some others. My main concern is that a lot of them spend most of their time on the bottom of the tank. Two are laying on their sides. I read a thread here of something simalar, Parisites? I have been feeding live brine and they all seem to go for it well enough.

This is in a 20 gallon tank with Mom, Dad got evicted when he started eat his offspring. I have been doing 50% water change daily and plan on increasing that to 50% twice a day.

I started dosing "Metro+" in case of parisites.

Anything alse I can do?

Sounds like a bunch of bad swim bladders to me, i'd be getting the cull net ready.

Get that metro out of the tank, it has noplace in a 16 day old tank....no flukes remedies or any chemicals whatso ever should be used with fry that age imo. If it proves you gave the fry a disease then imo the best way is to treat the breeders and try again.

Rod

AADiscus
06-20-2007, 05:18 PM
I started dosing "Metro+" in case of parasites.

One thing to remember with fry this young is that they are VERY fragile. Giving them any type of medication can really throw you and them for a loop. Giving them a medication just in case is really not good either. Think of how a large fish reacts to medication sometimes. It can throw them off there feed, make them slow down a bit, etc. Fry don't need to be put in these conditions. IMO Metro is for internal parasites and will not treat anything on the outside. If they are flashing then you are treating with the wrong medication and Metro will not help you. Honestly I think your problem is water quality. I think if you are cleaning your filter, wiping your tank every day/every other day and feeding good then you shouldn't have a problem. I would suggest 2 large daily wc's also. Clean your filter often. Remember how many fish are in that tank along with feeding bbs (I assume you are) your filter and tank get fouled very fast. If you feel any sliminess in the tank you need to wipe.

I would stop using the metro now, wipe your tank, clean your filter and do a HUGH wc. Keep this routine up and you will see your fry will come around and be alot healthier. ;) Do keep us posted on there progress.

ps....IMO I would never give any fish a medication for a just in case issue or if I thought something was wrong. I believe you give a medication when you know what the problem is so that you are using the correct medication and taking care of the issue instead of creating possibly more.

sam_y
06-21-2007, 02:10 PM
no flukes remedies or any chemicals whatso ever should be used with fry that age imo. If it proves you gave the fry a disease then imo the best way is to treat the breeders and try again.

Rod

Normally I'd agree that meds should be avoided for young fry, but there are at least two reasons I'd still recommend prazi IF it turns out to be flukes. First, it's rlong's first batch of fry and he naturally wants to do everything he can to save them. Secondly, IME prazi is a relatively safe med for fry, and it's not just me saying so: http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/prazi_flubenole.shtml

Having said that, I wouldn't recommend using prazi unless the fry display symptoms I listed previously.

rlong
06-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi,
Thanks again for all the help.

Well it has been a couple of days now. I have increased water changes by 2-3 times, both in frequency and in volume.

The fry seem about the same, maybe a little better. Can I expect recovery of those that are not that bad off? Allmost all are eating well.

They all swim quite during water changes but spend a lot of time resting upright on the bottom. there are 6 or so that are doing very good.

rlong
07-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi,
It has been 10 days since my last update. I have ha no death other than 2 fry that I culled. I have been doing 50% water changes 2-3 times a day. The goal has been 3 time a day but some days that just can't happen. The fry are eating much better and have put on another growth spert.

I'll try to get some pichures in the next day or so.

Thanks for the advice.