PDA

View Full Version : Happy discus owner with new problem with a problem

rg5186
06-19-2007, 10:59 PM
I have been keeping discus for 5 yrs now with no major problems, not a beeder, just enjoying the fish ... a co-worker was "moving" and gave me 2 3in domestic discus in sad condition. They are lethargic, swim around little in their private 55gal tank. One is starting to get narrow in the forehead, the other looks fine. They were feed black worms exclusively for the last year. I have got them to eat tetra bits. The problem is that they are not putting on any weight or size. I do 50% WC each day, filters are clean, no bad tank mates as they are on their own until I know they can go into general population. I am suspecting hex or capillaria. I have read posts but what can I do to medicate tetra bits to help these guys out.

Darren's Discus
06-19-2007, 11:12 PM
I would be dosing these guys for worms and get them on some beefheart to fatten them up.

cheers

Polar_Bear
06-19-2007, 11:21 PM
I agree with Darren about worming them, however there is nothing quite so fattening as blackworms. Put some Panacur (fenbendazole) in their food for 3 days. If they don't improve please re-post, as it may be flagellates. But de-worming them is the best first step IMO.

rg5186
06-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will get some Panacur and give that a shot and will let you know

Greg Richardson
06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
55 gallon tank with only two fish I don't see any reason for doing daily 50% wc's. Every other day be fine imo.

Blackwater Aquaria
06-25-2007, 08:44 PM
It definatley sounds like they did not get a good start with the people that gave them to you. !st get them in a smaller tank next raise the temp. Add some prozi to the tank. I think from my limited perspective they have internal problems. Try some metrod. also you could try one of the medicated foods good luck Mike from Blackwater Aquaria