PDA

View Full Version : Mixing earthworms in a beefheart recipe?

tpl*co
06-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I think I've seen a recipe with earthworm sticks added but has anybody used actual cleaned earthworms from the garden in their beefheart mix or homemade food recipes? Is there a reason not to (besides any gross out factor).

OH NO, now I've got these lyrics stuck in my head:

"Nobody likes me, everybody hates me,
Guess I'll go eat worms,
Long, thin, slimy ones; Short, fat, juicy ones,
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms.

Down goes the first one, down goes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.
Up comes the first one, up comes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm. "

Tina

Greg Richardson
06-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes. I have used them.
It's quite the food processor picture when grinding them up! LOL!

tpl*co
06-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks Greg,

Will it keep the same in the freezer, and does it foul the water any more? (worms ooze when chopped up) :p

Tina

Greg Richardson
06-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Was fine for me. Will use it again. I hardly ever make mine the same way.

tpl*co
06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Can you list what you use with the earthworm recipe?

Tina

Greg Richardson
06-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I never make a mix the same way. But some items I use are BH, salmon, shrimp, cod, spirilina flakes, tetrabits, prime reef flakes, vitamins, bloodworms, fish oil, turmeric, banana, kelp, blue green algea, max-ammo.

Apistomaster
06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey Greg,
Fancy meeting you here.

I am like Greg in that no particular batch of my beefheart blend is never exactly like my last one. Unlike Greg, I have never used fresh live earthworms but I do know that studies have been done using a different subject fish than discus and the earthworm fed fish demonstrated the superior growth rates.

I use earthworm flakes and earthwork sticks extensively. One of the uses is as an ingredient of my beefheart blend. I also feed both forms directly to my discus.
My recipe:
1. Pureed cleaned raw beefheart. I add only enough water containing agar to set and bind the final mix and that allows thorough pureeing. The amount of agar is about one tbs/pint of 190dF water
2.~1 tsp VitaChem and 1 tsp Spirulina powder,and 1tbs Cyclop-eeze while still blending
3. Pour the blended puree' into a bowl.
4. Manually fold in ~1cup Earthworm Flakes and ~1 cup FD Bloodworms
5. Bag in either 1qt freezer ziplocs or vacuum sealed bags so the bags are ~3/8" thick flats
The FD bloodworms are very helpful in improving cohesion of the pieces of the
thawing blend until it is all eaten. The physical properities of a mix containing Bloodworms is similar to the use of polypropylene fibers in concrete, fiber reinforced concrete, it improves cohesion and impact resistance above that which the agar binder contributes. It is also a very good way to incorporate insect larvae protein and the chitonous exoskeletons into the discus' diet.

mmorris
06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Yes. I have used them.
It's quite the food processor picture when grinding them up! LOL!

Man, that's an understatement. I ground some up in a food processor once and I swear, never again! That was just about the most disgusting, grotesque thing I have ever seen! Needless to say, I can't bring myself to use that processor again. Martha

Condor
06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Anyone know a good source of earth worms?