PDA

View Full Version : Filter off for 24 hrs

bavaria36
06-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Got back from work today and noticed that the water had gone cloudy. After a very brief investigation I realized that the filter pump ( Eheim 2028 ) was unplugged... I had forgotten to plug it back in last night after a water change.

Should I assume that the biofilter is now dead ? I made a 50% WC immediately and cleaned out the filter before starting it up again. The tank is planted to I guess that I should have some bacteria growing in the gravel.

Will I be OK if I just do 50% WC every day for a week or so ? The fish look OK until now. How long will it be until the biofilter is back if it really is dead now ?

Aaron

alpine
06-22-2007, 09:00 PM
I think nitrifing bacteria are pretty tough..do your water changes and be happy. I think it should be OK .

roberto. not an expert....

Tropical Haven
06-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Your should be fine, bacteria bounce back pretty quickly. That is too funny though because I forget to turn mine back on from time to time.

Apistomaster
06-23-2007, 10:34 AM
You did exactly the right thing under the circumstances. I concurr with the other posters that the nitrifying bacteria will resume their normal activities.

bavaria36
06-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. The fish seem to be doing fine although they are more skittish than usual. Difficult to be sure that it it due to the filter though. They often do this especially when we have storms in the area ( we have one going on at the moment )

Tomorrow morning I will do another 50% WC

Aaron