PDA

View Full Version : I Think I have Ruined My Tank.....

Kindredspirit
06-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Hey Guys ~ I think by downsizing and keeping my favorite discus, I have problems ~ a Blue Diamond that won't eat and now this:

Sometimes...not often this discus has one clamped fin to his side ~ he eats and acts normal ~ This tank gets wc 2x day, four times a week ~ I believe that the problems come from everyone ~ incl the Rams ~ hormones kicking in and one discus keeping others at bay ~

What do you think this is ~ stomach lining? Metro? I do not know what to do ~ I am putting Ms. P in her own corner of the world soon....she has lost her mind and turn oh so wicked!

For the sake of all these discus, should I get rid of some? Would you? There are nine in this 55gal ~ But I don't want too:( I am very sad here as what to do ~ here is a pic of all just waking....

It seems that when my Discus are not right ~ nothing is.....

poconogal
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey woman... awww, I know how you feel Marie. If I had to get rid of any of mine (I have 10 in a 75) I wouldn't want to either... Don't you have two that hang together peacefully? Ms. P and another one? Maybe you could remove those two and put them into your 20 gal.? See how they do together? (I may actually do that with my Rose Reds).

Looks like your Discus may have hex, Marie. You said its still eating, but is it eating with the usual "attack the food gusto?" You could keep an eye on it for awhile, see how its appetite goes and whether its eating well and what, if any other, symptoms pop up. I waited 3 weeks with Casper before treating, just observing. During that time he stopped eating anything and started hiding in the corner behind a plant. After a week of not eating at all, hiding and the continued presence of the white, stringy poo, I knew I needed to treat with Metro.

Kindredspirit
06-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I think Metro is in order.....as well ~ Connie you do not think I shld use Gel-Tec?....I was reading that other thread ~

That is an idea....put Ms. P and the Tang in the 20gal....but I have a smaller discus and my Angel fish in there, Connie...would you move them to the 55gal?

poconogal
06-26-2007, 09:55 AM
I think Metro is in order.....as well ~ Connie you do not think I shld use Gel-Tec?....I was reading that other thread ~

That is an idea....put Ms. P and the Tang in the 20gal....but I have a smaller discus and my Angel fish in there, Connie...would you move them to the 55gal?
Sure, you can try the Gel Tek PX. It works very very well. See if the fish will eat the drops. My spotted loves those drops and does eat them. Chances are yours will not, then you can soak Tetra Bits or freeze dried BWs in a bit of the Gel Tek, then feed.

You can see how Ms. P and Tang get along in the 20. You may have to get rid of the smaller Discus and the Angel. Eventually the 20 will be too small for the Angel anway and where were you planning on putting the smaller Discus once it outgrows the 20? Or is there anywhere to set up another 20? If you put the smaller Discus and the Angel in the 55, that will eventually defeat the purpose of making the 55 less crowded.

Kindredspirit
06-26-2007, 10:03 AM
This is true...I was going to put the Angel fish ....hell I have no clue anymore!....My life took a wrong turn....so ~ here I am:(

Well, the BD is not eating...and the one pictured here did not eat just now either ~ So the Gel Tec would be out right?....Connie I have lots of Parasite Clear.....and that has Metro in it ~

I was searching for Metro Tabs as I forgot where I got them, and all the pet sites are popping up with Metro+...? It is liquid...! No one has tabs anymore? Also do you have a link for Gel-Tech PX...? I am done searching that as well ~:mad:

Thanks Connie for your help ~

travelingman
06-26-2007, 10:16 AM
This is true...I was going to put the Angel fish ....hell I have no clue anymore!....My life took a wrong turn....so ~ here I am:(

Well, the BD is not eating...and the one pictured here did not eat just now either ~ So the Gel Tec would be out right?....Connie I have lots of Parasite Clear.....and that has Metro in it ~

I was searching for Metro Tabs as I forgot where I got them, and all the pet sites are popping up with Metro+...? It is liquid...! No one has tabs anymore? Also do you have a link for Gel-Tech PX...? I am done searching that as well ~:mad:

Jehmco has metro in powder .. here is the site.. http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/WATER_TREATMENTS_ETC_/Medications/medications.html John is a good guy to deal with

Paul

Kindredspirit
06-26-2007, 10:28 AM
Thank You John. I had a whole bottle of tabs and I think I paid $20 for them, but it was "lost" in our move....I can not remember where I got them...I checked out the powder form ~ I didn't know it came that way!

Learn something knew:)

tpl*co
06-26-2007, 11:19 AM

I'd give them a dose of Parasite Clear and see if that helps. I've found it helped my fish in some cases like you described, (one clamped fin and not eating). Then if it doesn't work you can go full on Metro. I'm so sorry all these things are happening to you :(. I'm going to have to put in an order to bigal's soon, do you want to combine orders for some metro and save on shipping?

Tina

Snuffy
06-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Hello Marie

You can get the tabs from Doctors foster and smith for $20 bucks here is the link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4753&N=2004+113017 .

I just used this medication to cure my Falachen X SS and it took 2 treatments to cure him but he is back to normal and back in my community tank, Healthy and hardy again. Im not sure how you feel about using CBW's but I also would drop 500MG of metro in a container with worms and let them soak up some medication for 4hours or so and then feed them to him and now he is all good.You have some very nice fish, hope all goes well for you.

poconogal
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
www.rockymountaindiscus.com has Metro in powder form too. I don't know who has the better price, though.

If they're not eating, the Gel-Tek would be out. You can google Gel Tek and it will come up.

I've tried Parasite Clear in the past but found it did nothing for hex in my case. You have some time though, so why not try it? It will probably at least help the one clamped fin guy and may help the other, too.

phidelt85
06-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey, Marie, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain. What the hell is it with these guys when it rains it pours. I hope it goes well for you as I'm currently going through my own crisis with my clan.

G/L
Jose

Kindredspirit
06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd give them a dose of Parasite Clear and see if that helps. I've found it helped my fish in some cases like you described, (one clamped fin and not eating). Then if it doesn't work you can go full on Metro. I'm so sorry all these things are happening to you :(. I'm going to have to put in an order to bigal's soon, do you want to combine orders for some metro and save on shipping?

Tina

Hey Tina, Parasite Clear has pretty much the same three ingredients, I think...as Gel Tec does ~ I would love to get some Metro....it would be $20, right? Let me know when you are going to do this, as I can not right now...:(

Hello Marie

You can get the tabs from Doctors foster and smith for $20 bucks here is the link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4753&N=2004+113017 .

I just used this medication to cure my Falachen X SS and it took 2 treatments to cure him but he is back to normal and back in my community tank, Healthy and hardy again. Im not sure how you feel about using CBW's but I also would drop 500MG of metro in a container with worms and let them soak up some medication for 4hours or so and then feed them to him and now he is all good.You have some very nice fish, hope all goes well for you.

Thank You!....I looked at that site and I could not find the Tabs....I was in a hurry though!.....

www.rockymountaindiscus.com has Metro in powder form too. I don't know who has the better price, though.

If they're not eating, the Gel-Tek would be out. You can google Gel Tek and it will come up.

I've tried Parasite Clear in the past but found it did nothing for hex in my case. You have some time though, so why not try it? It will probably at least help the one clamped fin guy and may help the other, too.

I just got some more Parasite Clear....as I am not one for waiting, Connie...and the ingredients are the same as Gel Tec.....I am pretty sure!...only there is one additional as well ~

Listen...I know we hit them for 5-7 days with Metro, I want to do that with Parasite Clear, but the directions say wait 48 hours in between....what do you think?

Hey, Marie, I just wanted to say that I feel your pain. What the hell is it with these guys when it rains it pours. I hope it goes well for you as I'm currently going through my own crisis with my clan.

G/L
Jose

How are you Jose? How are your fish? Better I hope! I just have two that are trippin....:( as if that is not enough.... I just got home and I am going to clean the tank and hit them with PC....

alxjss
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
So sorry for ur sick fish Marie. Don't worry, they will be okay. U will make sure of that;)

Kindredspirit
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks, Eileen ~ I just did a wc and totally changed the entire tank around..I think that Ms. Pringles is pissed!.....and confused! I also just hit them with Parasite Clear...

I am not getting rid of one of these fish ~ so ~

Next, I will strip the tank of everything....substrate, deco...all of it. We will go BB...after 2 years:D...I just want the two that are sissys...lol...to F* eat and get in there and be a discus, man!

Unfortunately, I combined two year old fish with almost a year....even though the sizes are comparable....hormones are not:(

alxjss
06-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Yes, good idea. I took out my driftwood and plants. I tried it but not good. I started seeing fuzzies and splitting on the fins so yanked them out. I am still having problems, but luckily, Paul is working w/me. Hopefully, things will get better. I think i am overfeeding. I must stop that:( I love it when they eat, but can't do it anymore. Hopefully, that is all it tis.
Man, this is worse than a baby......so many problems...

tpl*co
06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
What I usually order from Bigals is the seachem stuff:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18439/si1380549/cl0/seachemmetronidazole5grams

It'll take a few for a 55 gallon. Thinking of putting in an order with double point Wens.

Never mind, looking at the other links that people posted they're cheaper! Bigals is just for 5 grams.

Tina

Kindredspirit
06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Yes, good idea. I took out my driftwood and plants. I tried it but not good. I started seeing fuzzies and splitting on the fins so yanked them out. I am still having problems, but luckily, Paul is working w/me. Hopefully, things will get better. I think i am overfeeding. I must stop that:( I love it when they eat, but can't do it anymore. Hopefully, that is all it tis.
Man, this is worse than a baby......so many problems...

aww...well, right when you think you have it down pat....you don't!....Paul is helping you ~ you have the best, Eileen;)

Always keep em a little hungry!....and wanting more ~ I can tell when someone here over feeds my fish...as they tend to slow down a bit...and not as eager to see me:)

phidelt85
06-26-2007, 10:05 PM
How are you Jose? How are your fish? Better I hope! I just have two that are trippin....:( as if that is not enough.... I just got home and I am going to clean the tank and hit them with PC....

http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=58277

That oughta cover it for ya.

poconogal
06-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Listen...I know we hit them for 5-7 days with Metro, I want to do that with Parasite Clear, but the directions say wait 48 hours in between....what do you think?
When I've used PC I did it according to the package directions.

Kindredspirit
06-27-2007, 08:40 AM
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=58277

That oughta cover it for ya.

I will check it out, Jose!

When I've used PC I did it according to the package directions.

Not what I wanted to hear Connie....lol!

phidelt85
06-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Marie, how's it going with your guy?

Kindredspirit
06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey You! I just read your thread and things look better yes?....Me too, Jose! So far at any rate! He is eating! First time I have seen him eat in weeks, man ~ look for my thread on what I did to help my tank:)