PDA

View Full Version : ick and fungus

alxjss
06-26-2007, 06:14 PM
He all. I have a ?. I bought 6 bleeding heart tetras last tuesday. I put them in my 10gal qt. I had then bought 7 panda cories on Sunday, went in w/the bleeding hrts. Came home from work today and saw an amazing coat of either ick or fungus. It is all over the tetras. What the problem is that it is real thick and i have already treated for ick. Should i treat for fungus too? Should i wait to see if the ick meds work first? I am at a loss. Not good w/fish diseases:confused:
thanks

Graham
06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Ick and fungus are two very different things...ich look s like salt or maybe even sevral salt crystals jammed together. Fungus usually only shows up on things that are dead and then it has a fuzzy cotten wool apperance.

I'd suggest a product with Formalin & malachite green....it should look after both

G

alxjss
06-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Ick and fungus are two very different things...ich look s like salt or maybe even sevral salt crystals jammed together. Fungus usually only shows up on things that are dead and then it has a fuzzy cotten wool apperance.

I'd suggest a product with Formalin & malachite green....it should look after both

G

Okay Graham, if fungus appears on things that r dead, why would i treat for fungus? Or am i just treating for ick?

Graham
06-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Didn't explain that well, did I:o The malachite green will look after things like Columnaris, and Saprolegnia both of which are commonly called fungus and neither of them are. One is a bacteria and the other a mold

alxjss
06-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Okay, u jumped in, now i will ask. How does one get mold? Is it a parasite like ick?

Graham
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
No Ick is a protozoan...Sap is a member of the mold family and Col is a bacteria...all very different living things. Bacteria, molds, funguses are all very different things and all are present in the air at all times....check the cheese in the fridge:)

alxjss
06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
okay, thanks, but how does a fish get mold?

Graham
06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
They are everywhere...the spores for mold and funguses, which are very close to being the same thing, are in the air all around us.

The most common mold/fungus that we deal with is Saprolegnia. It's usually a secondary invader to bacterial or parasitic infections. This is what usually shows up on eggs.

This one can be easy to cleared up if caught early but it can set down ''roots'', pentrating deeper layer of sskin and the it can really do some damage.

Good article on Sap

http://koivet.com/html/articles/articles_details.php?article_id=256

alxjss
06-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks Graham. U've been real patient. Was a very good article:)