PDA

View Full Version : muriatic acid showing yellow color

guille2007
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Can comercial muriatic acid be used if it shows yellow color?

RandalB
06-29-2007, 04:45 PM
All the muriatic acid I've ever seen IS yellow....

RandalB

guille2007
06-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks, but an experimented breeder told me that pure HCL disolved in destilated water is transparent, that is why I am asking about since I though the same as you

Rod
06-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Some brands are yellow, some not. I usually use a clear type, but have used yellow type as well no probs.

Rod:)

guille2007
06-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Thanks Rod, the one I do have access is yellow and it is from a grocery source and it says under its using instructions that it is for cleaning purpose bathrooms, floors, is that common one you use for ph down?

Rod
06-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Thanks Rod, the one I do have access is yellow and it is from a grocery source and it says under its using instructions that it is for cleaning purpose bathrooms, floors, is that common one you use for ph down?

The brand i use hasn't got uses listed, just ingredients. 350g/liter muriatic acid. I get it from the local hardware store.

I bet it would strip a floor clean in seconds though :D

Rod

dishpanhands
06-30-2007, 05:39 AM
When I used this stuff.(not on fish) It would come out of bottle clear and after air hit it for a couple of minutes it would turn yellow..This stuff smells bad too..

guille2007
06-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, a chemist friend told me that if I see it yellow it is because of it got oxidated

Rod
06-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, a chemist friend told me that if I see it yellow it is because of it got oxidated
Did he happen to mention if it is still usable if it has oxidized?

kaceyo
07-01-2007, 11:55 AM
The kind I use is 31.45% HC acid and is always crystal clear. I get it at the local hardware store.
Just out of curiousity, does anyone use a KH builder/stabilizer after using it? Kacey

Ed13
07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
The kind I use is 31.45% HC acid and is always crystal clear. I get it at the local hardware store.
Just out of curiousity, does anyone use a KH builder/stabilizer after using it? Kacey
Same here, but I've gotten once or twice one that had a light amber color, never thought about it though. Is it still as strong?

And I also would like to know about any kh builder

guille2007
07-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Did he happen to mention if it is still usable if it has oxidized?

He says that yellow color is caused by no good destilated water was used to mix with pure HCL so its perfomance is worse than the clear one but he thinks that it is still usable although he can not guarantee how contaminated it could be to be used in delicated fish aplications.

guille2007
07-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Anyone has used sulfuric acid?, it seems that it works the same as muriatic does, based on what API says in its pH Down product what is sulfuric acid

Rod
07-02-2007, 10:51 PM
He says that yellow color is caused by no good destilated water was used to mix with pure HCL so its perfomance is worse than the clear one but he thinks that it is still usable although he can not guarantee how contaminated it could be to be used in delicated fish aplications.

Thanks, makes sense.
I never noticed any drop in performance when it has been yellow.

Rod
07-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Anyone has used sulfuric acid?, it seems that it works the same as muriatic does, based on what API says in its pH Down product what is sulfuric acid

Don't know about sulfuric acid sorry, but here we can buy a ph down and it is based on monosodium phosphate which is normally used as a food additive. It works for dropping the ph, but sends the conductivity sky high.

guille2007
07-03-2007, 12:53 AM
I am just curious about why API did choice sulfuric acid for its pH down product over than the HCL?

kaceyo
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
My understanding is that it's more stable. Less likely to drop your pH too low and generaly stabilizes at pH 6.5. I've never used it myself so anyone who has please correct me if wrong.

Kacey

Hans Kloss
07-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Anyone has used sulfuric acid?

I'm using it from 3 years diluting it firstly to 20% solution. It is a little more convenient in use, give slightly more stable pH (I prefer pH about 5.5) than HCl and gave no undesired side effects on fish or plants health. But the critical moment is the process of diluting- ALWAYS add concentrated acid into water and do not reverse the order, it may be dangerous to your eyes. During dilution it's warming up like hell so avoid using plastic bottles etc.
Hans

guille2007
07-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm using it from 3 years diluting it firstly to 20% solution. It is a little more convenient in use, give slightly more stable pH (I prefer pH about 5.5) than HCl and gave no undesired side effects on fish or plants health. But the critical moment is the process of diluting- ALWAYS add concentrated acid into water and do not reverse the order, it may be dangerous to your eyes. During dilution it's warming up like hell so avoid using plastic bottles etc.
Hans

I see, thanks Hans, API already sells it 10% diluited if you interested