PDA

View Full Version : Development of good parents

Elite Aquaria
06-30-2007, 06:47 AM
I have 5 pairs of fish I am working with right now. They all started laying eggs around December. Every week I would get some eggs only to be disappointed after about 3-4 days. Finally in the middle of May my first pair had wigglers...then the next week the 2nd pair had wigglers...then a third pair 2 weeks after that.

Here are the changes that I made:
1) Stopped doing as frequent water changes (only doing a 50% water change when uS reached 100)
2) Began to only use straight RO water (no more mix)
3) Let the PH stabilize at what ever number my water settled in at (my water 5.5)
4) Began to only feed Live CBW 2 times per day and stopped all commercial prepared foods (reasons were to maintain water conditions)
5) Added 1 ABN pleco into each breeding tank to help create a sense of territory for the pair
6) Once I noticed parents beginning to prepare for mating I did a 50% water change with straight RO water
7) Added 24/7 night light after eggs were layed
8) Right before the fry were to become wigglers I would do another 30-40% water change with straight tap water to raise the uS to around 150-200
9) Once wigglers I lowered the tank water to 2 inches above the dorsal fin of the parents
10) I also would remove the sponge filter for 24 hours until all fry attached for at least 12 hours (I also removed the ABN at this time so he would not dirty the water with waste)
11) Return the sponge filter with a white pantie hose around it on the 2nd day of free swimming
12) Slowly begin to raise the water level back up beginning on day 3...but only adding about 10-15% water each day.

Dan

Rod
06-30-2007, 04:04 PM
I have 5 pairs of fish I am working with right now. They all started laying eggs around December. Every week I would get some eggs only to be disappointed after about 3-4 days. Finally in the middle of May my first pair had wigglers...then the next week the 2nd pair had wigglers...then a third pair 2 weeks after that.

Here are the changes that I made:
1) Stopped doing as frequent water changes (only doing a 50% water change when uS reached 100)
2) Began to only use straight RO water (no more mix)
3) Let the PH stabilize at what ever number my water settled in at (my water 5.5)
4) Began to only feed Live CBW 2 times per day and stopped all commercial prepared foods (reasons were to maintain water conditions)
5) Added 1 ABN pleco into each breeding tank to help create a sense of territory for the pair
6) Once I noticed parents beginning to prepare for mating I did a 50% water change with straight RO water
7) Added 24/7 night light after eggs were layed
8) Right before the fry were to become wigglers I would do another 30-40% water change with straight tap water to raise the uS to around 150-200
9) Once wigglers I lowered the tank water to 2 inches above the dorsal fin of the parents
10) I also would remove the sponge filter for 24 hours until all fry attached for at least 12 hours (I also removed the ABN at this time so he would not dirty the water with waste)
11) Return the sponge filter with a white pantie hose around it on the 2nd day of free swimming
12) Slowly begin to raise the water level back up beginning on day 3...but only adding about 10-15% water each day.

Dan

wow, Dan, that sure is a lot of work you do. I'm glad you have found a good method that works for you.

Rod

Elite Aquaria
07-01-2007, 07:16 AM
wow, Dan, that sure is a lot of work you do. I'm glad you have found a good method that works for you.

Rod

Thats what my wife says...:D :D :D

Dan

Rod
07-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Thats what my wife says...:D :D :D

Dan

Yeah mine too :D

Darren's Discus
07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Dan,
well it looks like you have it sorted as what works for you,like they say when your onto a good thing stick to it ! you know we expect more pics now.

cheers

Elite Aquaria
07-01-2007, 07:47 PM
More pics to follow soon...

Dan