PDA

View Full Version : decapsulating bbs

grelot
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
I tried to decap bbs but I'm not sure if it worked.

I soaked them in water for an hour and then added the bleach.

But the instruction saids that they would turn white and then orange. Then when they are all orange rinse them.

The only problem is that after 12 hours in bleach there are still some whites.

How long is it supposed to take??? I thought it was only an hour or so.

And how much orange is it supposed to be. To me they look beige more than orange, almost like normal not decap eggs.

any infos appreciated

Polar_Bear
06-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Actually it takes about 5 minutes. Here is what I do.

In a small container add your eggs, and an airstone, then add 50/50 bleach and water. Let them aerate, you will see them change color and will see the shells at the water surface. Drain the water/bleach out of the container and add heavily de-chlorinated water, or vinegar, or something else to neutralize the bleach (I use Prime), Aerate that for about 5 minutes, drain and you are done. I then add mine directly to a hatchery.

grelot
06-30-2007, 01:53 PM
You see the shell at the surface???? I thought they were supposed to kinda melt and disappear??? How do you split the shells from the eggs then???

I rinsed mine and I see that I have about 90% of orange ones that sink easily and about 10% that are white and float a bit more. They stay between two water, what are they???

Polar_Bear
07-01-2007, 12:15 AM
The shells do melt off, but some of them float. I don't know what the white ones are, I imagine they are dead, but I don't know that for a fact. The good ones are the ones that are now orange. Simply drain the whole thing through a coffee filter, put them back into the same container with dechlorinated water or vinegar, aerate to rid them of bleach, filter again and then use in your hatchery.

brewmaster15
07-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I think I would try again, after 12 hours in Bleach...that batch may be dead.
hth,
-al

grelot
07-03-2007, 08:28 PM
yeah I'll try again.

Any idea what the white ones are Al???

LizStreithorst
07-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't know what the white ones are either. I use PBs method (using a vinegar rinse) and it worked well for me.