PDA

View Full Version : White discus

gseith
07-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Well I got silver pigeons to spawn and start to raise the fry, but about 95% got lost in the tank. I know the fry has a hard time finding white parents, so at what point during the hatching do lower the water in the tank and wrap the sponge filters in a white cloth. I think I got about 5-6 that are actually feeding off the parents.

thanks,
greg

Darren's Discus
07-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Greg,
I find that my white fry have no more problem finding the parents than any of my other discus, If you do cover your filter with a white stocking or i actually sometimes take the sponge filter out and just use dacron instead i would normally do that before the fry are free swimming.

all the best with them.

cheers

White Worm
07-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Yup, right before they go free swimming. Prepare on day 4 or so because you dont want to disturb the fry or parents on swimming day.

gseith
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure when I should do anything, and I was hoping I wouldn't have to do anything.
thanks,
greg

Elite Aquaria
07-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I lower the tank water and remove the filter for first 24 hours after free swimming. I have also noticed that the vibration from the air bubbles confuse my fry from reaching their parents.

Dan

gseith
07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
They have laid eggs again, and there is still fry swimming around the tank that can't stay with the parents. Well this time I will lower the water level and wrap the filters, but how long should I keep the water level low. I'm figuring when they look fully attached, am I on the right track with that. They are also in a 55gal tank and was thinking I should block half the tank off when I lower the water level. Good or bad idea?

thanks,
greg

White Worm
07-09-2007, 02:32 AM
People have done it but I would say 55g is too big (20-29g is good for breeder tank). I started raising the water level up slowly over the next couple of water changes within about a week, the water level was normal and they were already fully attached. I put it at 50% before swim day and already had the filter wrapped and the clear heater in.

dpt8
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Any pics of the silver pigeons?? Are they Stendker blood ?? Thanks, David

gseith
07-10-2007, 09:36 PM
First time posting a pic

gseith
07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
They're not from stenker I don't think. I bought a group of 16 baby's of someones one strain and 8 looked the way they were supposed to look. Silver pigeons is what they looked most like to me. If you got another name let me know.

-greg