PDA

View Full Version : Interesting turquoise

Rod
07-09-2007, 09:22 AM
These photos show a pair of turquoise i have been breeding from for a few years now. I shot them tonight carrying a nice spawn of day old fry. The interesting thing about this pair is they throw a very small percentage of most unusual fry.

Rod
07-09-2007, 09:31 AM
These photos show the unusual discus that are produced occasionally. They are born with red stress bars which disappear at around the 6th to 8th week. They never show again, completely barless. They also have another unusual trait....quite a few of the scales are very deformed....irregular. None of the other siblings are like that at all.

All comments welcome

Rod:)

Ed13
07-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I"ll take a guess that the one in front in the very first pic of the pair is the one introducing these"weird" genes. It doesn't quite look turk to me.
Beautiful strange little guys, a lot of spots too, hopefully you can work out the flaws, who knows maybe you'll get a new strain out of this.

Rod
07-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I"ll take a guess that the one in front in the very first pic of the pair is the one introducing these"weird" genes. It doesn't quite look turk to me.
Beautiful strange little guys, a lot of spots too, hopefully you can work out the flaws, who knows maybe you'll get a new strain out of this.

Thanks, The pair are brother and sister from a cross of male red turquoise and female red diamond. The male in the pic is almost identical to his father in looks and the female ( the weird one :D) is more like an rsg. The breeder of the red diamond told me they are german red turk x rsg so the red spots are coming from that side of the crossing. I'm hoping for one of the barless ones too bred with the mother eventually..........:D

AADiscus
07-09-2007, 12:01 PM
I like those Rod. In the second set of pictures that first pic.......look how thick that is. Great job!:)

Condor
07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
If there's one thing I like, it's unique fish. I think those are beautiful fish, Rod. I would bet you have something there. Now if only you lived in the US... :)

Adrian

Polar_Bear
07-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Rod,
A very nice looking pair, I too would be calling the female a domestic RSG, at least that is the closest strain that she reminds me of. I really like the coloration and marking on them both, a very nice pair of discus indeed.

kaceyo
07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
They do have a very unique and interesting look. The gill covers have an almost, but not quite, SS pattern. I don't know what to make of the swirling scales pattern. My first thought was that they were domestic RSG's. Do all of the unusual offspring have the RSG look? What about the "normal" offspring? They will be fun to play around with and who knows what might come of it?

Kacey

dpt8
07-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Rod, I second the vote for the THICKNESS in these fish. That is what I love most. The thick bodies and thick heads !! Very round too.. Great job !!

Rod
07-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks a lot guys, indeed some from this line can grow very large.....but they are also quite tricky to breed. Since the red diamond blood was introduced anyway!

Rod
07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
They do have a very unique and interesting look. The gill covers have an almost, but not quite, SS pattern. I don't know what to make of the swirling scales pattern. My first thought was that they were domestic RSG's. Do all of the unusual offspring have the RSG look? What about the "normal" offspring? They will be fun to play around with and who knows what might come of it?

Kacey

Hi Kacey,

Yes i love the gill pattern on these guys too, it shows up on a fair percentage of the discus in this line.
The unusual offspring are all spotted, but i'm not sure how significent that is as i only have a few specimens. The normal fry are sometimes spotted, sometimes more red turk. I've attached some pics of very closely related fish for you to look at.
Thanks for the encouragement mate, i think there is a few years of fun ahead:D

Darren's Discus
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Very nice Rod,I like those alot.nice big specimens,Hows your really huge boy going these days ?

cheers

Rod
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I like those Rod. In the second set of pictures that first pic.......look how thick that is. Great job!:)

Thanks Angela,

Heres a close up:)

Jason
07-10-2007, 12:56 AM
Good job my friend! how does a pair of those turqs for the new fusion fairway wood sound?;)

Thats an incredible find, I'd fix the trait and work the bugs out later. I know your standards are top shelf but we'll let you slide on this one:)

do the fish with irregular scales have a high or distorted body form?

Ed13
07-10-2007, 01:19 AM
I knew I recognize these turks(from the last pic). One of my fav red turks ever, even had the pair as as wallpaper on my pc from a pic you posted before, hope you don't mind I just wanted to look at them daily:D

BTW, do you mind if I call the red bar/barless spotteds "redhead leopards"?:) lol How about "sunburst greens" or leopards?:D

Rod
07-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Very nice Rod,I like those alot.nice big specimens,Hows your really huge boy going these days ?

cheers

Thanks Darren,
Yes he's doing well, eating too much...lol.

Rod
07-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Good job my friend! how does a pair of those turqs for the new fusion fairway wood sound?;)

Thats an incredible find, I'd fix the trait and work the bugs out later. I know your standards are top shelf but we'll let you slide on this one:)

do the fish with irregular scales have a high or distorted body form?

Tempting my friend....you know how to get my attention don't you? LOL. I'm actually on a king cobra fix atm with my hs9....what a rocket launcher that is:D

Yes a few bugs too work out, all part of the ride i reacon! I don't even know how the mutant gene will behave yet.

Body form looks good around the weird scales, they don't stick out or reflect differently, just look like regrown scales from a bite wound. Body height is not unusual i don't think.

Rod
07-10-2007, 03:25 AM
I knew I recognize these turks(from the last pic). One of my fav red turks ever, even had the pair as as wallpaper on my pc from a pic you posted before, hope you don't mind I just wanted to look at them daily:D

BTW, do you mind if I call the red bar/barless spotteds "redhead leopards"?:) lol How about "sunburst greens" or leopards?:D

I'm deeply honoured, your most welcome to use my fish as your wallpaper....wow thanks.:)

Red head leopards or sunburst leopards....not bad actually...lol. :D

AADiscus
07-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Man, have you measured that guy. lol Thanks for the close up. Really nice;)