PDA

View Full Version : going away: can I leave chemipure in my aquaclear for 3 weeks???

sophie68
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi all,:)

I am off to France for 3 weeks tomorrow and I just did a big WC. The fish will only be fed tetra bits every other day and there will be one 50 % weekly WC. I have added 1 aquaclear with 2 chemipure in it, as someone on the forum suggested. As I have never used that product before, I am just wondering, can I leave it in the aquaclear for 3 weeks??????

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Sophie

greyhoundfan
07-10-2007, 11:11 PM
IMO..you should be ok. It should take awhile before the chemipure reaches its saturation point and becomes ineffective. What other type of filtration do you have?? Just the Aquaclear?? Are you running any cannisters? I'm sure if you provide more info others could provide a definitive answer. Since there will be a 50% WC in the middle of your absence this will give you a buffer.

sophie68
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi,
I have an Eheim pro III and a big sponge filter. My tank is 80 gallon, I have 4 sub adult discus, 1 smaller one, 5 sterbai cories and 5 albino bushynoses.
I read that chemipure was supposed to keep your PH stable...Is that true???? On the other hand, I know carbon is not great for discus and chemipure is mainly carbon and ion exchange resins. I have never used carbon in my tank longer than 2 days (to remove meds).
Thanks!;)

Sophie

greyhoundfan
07-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Based on this info I hijacked:

Chemi-pure Aquarium Filter Media

Chemi-Pure is a unique aquarium filter media designed not only to remove ammonia and other harmful toxins from aquarium water, but Chemi-pure actually stabilizes the negative and positive ions in your aquarium, which are a very important aspect of aquarium fish health. With a durability of 4-6 months, many aquarists find they do not have to do monthly water changes when they use Chemi-pure filter media: they only do them two to three times a year! Chemi-pure makes an excellent replacement to standard carbon filter media in freshwater, saltwater or marine aquariums. Supreme chemical filtration from an aquarists favorite filter media, Chemi-Pure!

It sounds like you're good to go. Looks like you don't have to do a water change til Christmas!! LOL..

Really.. you will be fine. you have adequate filtration and you're not overstocked.

Kindredspirit
07-11-2007, 04:33 AM
Looks like you don't have to do a water change til Christmas!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif

France? Sophie?.....without me? umm.....have fun! I use to live there:)

sophie68
07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi,
Well, I wish I could STAY in France til Xmas, LOL, all the more so since I am French!!!!! ;)Anyway, where in France did you live?????

Sophie
PS: love your smilies!!!!!

poconogal
07-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi Sophie! I used to use Chemi Pure in my Discus tank years ago. I never left it in for the 6 months they say you can, though! But I did leave it in for 3 months, with no problems whatsoever. Oh, and I still did my WCs regardless of what the manufacturer says about no WCs for a year! It kept the water crystal blue/white clear, but my PH still dropped if I delayed a WC. 3 weeks should not be a problem at all for your Discus! Enjoy your trip.

sophie68
07-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi Connie:wave:

Thanks!!!! Hope all is well with you!

Sophie

Kindredspirit
07-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi,
Well, I wish I could STAY in France til Xmas, LOL, all the more so since I am French!!!!! ;)Anyway, where in France did you live?????

Sophie
PS: love your smilies!!!!!

Thanks! We used to live in Orleans....I was young but my memories are there...I remember everyone rode bikes with baskets and long loaves of french bread sticking out and suede shorts....

and it is my favorite foreign language ~ so soothing...I adore it with a passion:)

We lived in a Chateau and inside the walls were these lizards ~ we used to pull off there tails and another would grow back!....right before our eyes!

.......not really!

The memories were great.

Have a great time, Sophie!