PDA

View Full Version : short gills/calcium chloride vs. carbonate

obsessed
07-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I keep reading about using calcium chloride for the possible prevention of short gill covers in fry (of which about 50% of mine have).

But i see no mention of Calcium carbonate (which i have on hand),
only chloride.
Does it make a difference, or is it that the chloride is just easier for people to purchase?

my tapwater is 110uS.
i have been adding RO Right but i guess not enough to make a difference this time.
the last time i had babies (3 years ago) i added small amounts of RO Right and did not have very many short gills. the present batches of fry have at least one parent from the 3 year old spawn.

So ....

carbonate or chloride...

Thanks
Paul

kaceyo
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Calcium carbonite is limestone and doesn't disolve well in water. Calcium chloride disolves completely so you can control the amount of calcium in your water very easily with a TDS or conductivity meter.
HTH,

Kacey

obsessed
07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks !

troyclark
07-31-2007, 11:21 PM
I had a problem with partially developed dorsal fins and started to use some Reef Calcium liquid in the early stages of fry development. I use a capful on every other WC. Seems to work pretty good. I went from around 40-50% to less than 10%. HTH

kaceyo
07-31-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey Troy,
I take it your talking about the same parents. Were there any other changes made, like diet, prepping the parents, water conditions etc...?
Thanks,

Kacey

troyclark
08-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Kacey, I did not do anything different except start using the reef calcium liquid. HTH