PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to RO

Brunog
07-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Hello,

I am seriously considering getting and RO unit for my discus..

I have been reading and looking arround, and I was wondering what I should expect to pay for an average system, that will make me about 30gallons a week of RO water for my water changes...

I only have one 75g tank..

Do I need a 100gpd unit and so one, and why?

is this a good system?
http://cgi.ebay.com/75-GPD-H2O-Science-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-DI-system-119-99_W0QQitemZ250140988571QQihZ015QQcategoryZ46310QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Am I missing the point?

Thank you ;)

-Brunog

Don Trinko
07-14-2007, 08:14 AM
The price will vary depending on the output ,quality and doit yourself or pay to install. My son inlaw works for a company that installs ro units of all sizes.
The one I have would cost $300 instaled. It has a 3g storage tank and a rating of 76g per day.
The acual amount you get depends on the water temperature and the water pressure. I get abought 1 g per hour. Mine is upstairs and that lowers the water pressure slightly.
When you are not using the ro it will gradualy fill up the storage tank and then automaticly shut off. When you use the ro water it will come out fairly fast untill the storage tank is empty and then it will continue at a slower rate untill you shut it off.
My tap has a TDS of 600, The ro reduces that to tds of 22. It is not distiled water but very close. Don T.

RandalB
07-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Stay away from Ebay. You get what you pay for. That guy doesn't even specify what kind of membrane is being supplied.

Check out our sponsor section for a decent unit....

Look for RO units with Filmtec Membranes. They are hands down the best from the company that invented RO.

75 GPD (stay away from the 100's they are less efficient) will make around 3 gallons per hour and take less time to fill a 5 gallon pail for top-off than a smaller one. Also, a 75 GPD membrane only costs $8.00 more than a 12 GPD does at wholesale. Shouldn't cost much more to get the higher GPD.

HTH,
RandalB

Brunog
07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Thank you for the answers,

I did not know about Buckeye,

I will have to ask if they ship to Canada.

Buckeye Field Supply
07-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Thank you for the answers,

I did not know about Buckeye,

I will have to ask if they ship to Canada.

We do ship to Canada - nearly every week.

Russ