PDA

View Full Version : Water changes & The FX5

youngdiscus
07-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Well I managed too fit the 135 gallon into the new place. I Filter the tank with the FX5, and had an idea while moving today would this work/ or do harm too my FX5

waterchanges
filling-I would shut down the Pump, then attach a proper size hose too the (IN) outlet then place hose into the water barrel which is probably 35ft away, turn on and it should draw water from the barrel filling the tank for me??? instead of buckets everywhere

Draining, Similar just reverse outlets?

Would drawing the water from this far be harmful on the FX5 pump?
Would this even work?

greyhoundfan
07-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Cannister filters most rely on gravity to pull water from the tank and use their pump to push water back to the tank. I don't think the FX5 will have enough power to push water 35 ft from your water storage to your tank. You'd be better off spending a few extra bucks for a water/pond pump instead. It would also be easier than connecting and reconnecting your FX5 connections.

April
07-22-2007, 12:12 PM
i wouldnt fill with it..get a pond pump. but my big tank..i do take the out hose out of the tank and drain it into a bucket then pump from there. dont have to worry about my little tetras being sucked up that way. or i stuck the end in a python and hose last time..and it drained . but i had to stand and hold it .
the magdrive works well. put a hose length on it and plug it in. it pumps good.
for all my other tanks i use the pond pump to drain and clean also. i just put it to the bottom..move it around..and collect all the bits and pieces . fast. just gotta aim it down so the fish dont get sucked on .