PDA

View Full Version : Is tap water enough?

ponderingky
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Just curious - if you use the same python for your w/c's will running hot tap water back through it kill any bugs or bad bacteria when you go from one tank to another? I am wondering if most of the python users have multiple (one per tank) or one for all their tanks. If you have one - how do you sterilize it or do you even worry about it?

Thanks,

Tropical Haven
07-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Boy this is a two part answer. I personally use a python to siphon my tanks and I use it to refill my holding tank back up. I do nothing to my python from tank to tank and myself I have no problems for over 10 years now but I take precautions when I get new fish like QT them. I have all healthy tanks with no problems so for me I just go from tank to tank when I clean them. Now for your other question about sterilizing your tubing, the only way to truely sterilize your hose is to fill your hose with bleach and water and then flush it out by running fresh water through it.

Don Trinko
07-24-2007, 03:24 PM
I have several tanks with Discus. They all have their own syphon. I use another syphon for all the other tanks except the sick tank. It has it's own. I rinse them between uses.
When I fill water I use a seperate hose and I rinse the part that dips in the water between uses. If I have a problem in any tank I boil the nets and anything else before using again. Don T.

pcsb23
07-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Andy, the short answer is no running hot tap water through the python will not kill all the bugs. I am one who regualrly moves discus between tanks (after qt of course!!) so I don't have to be too careful at w/c time, using the same equipment for all tanks, most are systemised any way.

BUT when I am treating or qt'ing everything is seperate, if I could qt in a seperate room I do, likewise when treatimg.

Bleach will take care of all nasties btw, just rinse thouroughly before use.