PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

saroberts
07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Before I ask my questions, let me tell you a bit about my setup.

This is what I have:

65 gallon all-glass.
1 - Emperor 400 filter
2 - Mark 5 sponge filters
1 - 150 watt glass heater
1 - 250 watt plastic heater.

My tap water has a PH of 8.8. After aging, it drops down to 8.5.

I check my Tank parameters prior to my water change. They are:

Water Temp 84.3
PH - 8.51 (from meter)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - Light orange. I would say between 5 and 10
KH - 7
GH - 13
TDS - 311 (from meter)

I continually fight brown algae by wiping the sides with each WC.

My water change schedule is this:

- 40 of 65 gallons every other day and add PRIME directly into the tank as I am refilling it.

- I clean one filter every other Saturday by dipping it in a bucket of drained TANK water and squeezing it several times. After the water becomes brown, I dip them in a second button of drained TANK water to 'refill them' and then put them back in the tank.

- Every other Sunday I drain the tank down to about 2 inches of water then use all of the water in my water barrel (it's a 44 gallon brute). My tank ends up with about 50 gallons. I just let it run with that until the next WC. I then clean my barrel by refilling it with tap water and adding about a cup of beach to it. I let my barrel pump circulate the water overnight. The following morning, I drain the barrel into the sink, refill it and turn the barrel heater and aerator back on. I started doing this after I found my water in my barrel had a Nitrite reading of 8.

My Discus:

I started with 8 discus purchased on April 1. My kids and I drove to KC and visited Jack with DISCUS_KC. He helped me select 2 LS, 2 Turks, 2 MP, and 2 Goldens. They were all between 3 and 4 inches and were coloring up nicely.

I lost my first discus back in mid May. It was about 2 weeks after the bio filter really got started. I'm not sure of the cause of death. If it is possible for a fish to get electrocuted then I was say that was the cause. I found him on the bottom under one of heaters that had an end chipped off. I found out about the missing glass the hard way when I was trying to net him to get him out. It was a shocking experience.

The second fatality was in Late June. He/She was the smallest of all of them and was picked on a lot. It started staying in one of the corners behind a sponge filter. I found him on the bottom one morning when I did my morning feeding.

The third one I lost was the most disappointing. He (or She) was one of the goldens and was the biggest of them all. He had grown to just a little over 5 inches, showed no pepper and had a good personality. He would follow my hand around when I was doing wipe downs, and sometimes would chase my siphon tube with I was cleaning the bottom. One night after a water change when I was on the PC, I heard a different noise from the tank.

When I looked over at it, I saw him traveling around the top of the tank at a high rate of speed. He came to a sudden stop when he ran into one of the sidewalls. I watched in horror as he floated to the bottom. When I left the basement that night, he was still on the bottom. Both gills were still working and I was hoping he would be okay, but he was gone in the morning when I did my feeding.

My questions:

- Several of my remaining discus have also started doing sprints in the tank. I'm afraid one of them will end up following the path of my big golden. Is this something that I should be worried about? Is this a common practice for discus?

- Another question deals with peppering. Can this also affect the fins? My second golden started showing pepper less than a week after I brought him home. He also has very dark fins, both top and bottom. My surviving MP also has dark fins. But I’ve seen him a pale orange one day, and really bright the next. I’ve not had luck with picture taking, I think I’m too old and slow to get ones that would be worth posting. I've asked by daughter to give it a try since she has taken great ones of her angels and neons.

- Since the death of my big golden, I’ve noticed more social activity in the tank with the remaining five. Just swimming around in all areas of the tank and only minor chasing each other. My kids have mentioned the same thing to me when they see the tank during the day while they are home and I'm at work. I’m sure the death of the big fish in the tank will cause a shifting of ‘the chain of command’. Can a single fish inhibit others that much?

- Right now I'm feeding color bits 3 or 4 times a day, and in the mornings frozen bh I purchased from Jack. Has anyone used raw lean hamburger for a food?

Let me know what you think.
Steve

tdr1919
07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Well Steve, I for one am not a big fan of large water changes. I believe that keep things constant is better than trying to make it "pristine" I hate adding anything to the water, Having some of my discus for 6 yrs gives me a bit if experience, I am a keeper, not a breeder. I do not overcrowd, or overfeed, I syphon about an inch of water from my tanks (cleaning the bottom) and replace with tap water, I do this almost everyday. The water here on LI is relatively soft and at a PH of 7. The deal is no rapid changes, small changes keep it constant, no chemicals. Your freak out fish - I have experienced this with some 3" marlboros I am growing out, they are quarentined and are being treated with copper (green) down. My Marlboros are in a BB tank and receive daily wc's because I feed them more (to get them to grow). The Copper down has cleared up the situation and I have not seen any freaking out in the tank.

Peppering - If you read other posts in the forum, you will find the concensus is peppering will increase if the fish are stresssed, but can just be the result of the fish growing older.
feeding - I feed my adults ( 8 fish in a 72 gal) a cube of sanfrancisco Beefheart, and a cube of hikari frozen bloodworms, then in the afternoon another cube of bloodworms or frozen brine shrinp, maybe a sprinkle of color bits. I tried the watleys but you have to thaw it and break it up, if not it the fish do not eat it all and it can collect on the bottom and spoil if you do not clean it out.
forget hamburger it is too fatty, go to your local butcher and get a beefheart, my guy has it frozen and cleaned, I use a cheese grater and chip it off the frozen piece, or run it through a meat grinder with frozen chopped spinach (put the spinach in the meatgrinder) and then put it in feezelock bags, flatten it real thin then freeze it your fish will love it!

My one breeding tank, I feed the pair bloodworms in the AM and color bits in the afternoon thats it.
I keep all my tanks (4) around 84 deg.

This is JMO.
good luck!
-Tom

Don Trinko
07-30-2007, 07:51 AM
I also don't do large wc but I am probably in the minority. I don't like to do more than 30% just in case there is something wrong with the water. I age and heat my water. I don't add chemicals, If I did I would add them before I put the water in the tank.
Your ph is a little high but others have success with high ph. My ph is7.6 to 7.8. I mix 50/50 ro and tap water. Straight tap would be 8.0 to 8.2 after aging.
I do not trust the test strips. I prefer the liquid tests. I had my lfs tell me my nitrates were 80 (test strip) when I got home they tested 20. (not a discus tank) With your wc routine I would bet your nitrates are less than 5. Good Luck; Don T.

Moon
07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
I would have some concerns about adding Prime directly into the tank. Why not add it to the barrel and let it age.

Tropical Haven
07-31-2007, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about your PH, my discus are in 8.4 PH and do super, they eat like pigs and are growing pretty quickly. As of water changes I would say it is pretty much up to the person doing it as long as your water parameters are fine. I do 50 percent water change every other day in my tanks even though they could probably go another day longer but this way I know that I am not going to start having problems with my discus. I haven't had any of my discus come down with anything yet by doing more water changes than I probably should so why flirt with danger, thats why I stay with the same routine for my water changes.