PDA

View Full Version : Praziquantel misadventure - HELP!!!!!!!!

ArvindK
07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I fed Droncit (praziquantel) to my discus a couple of days back and now I find that all 4 of them have contracted their fins and are huddled up together face up (pointing to the top of the tank) and facing the backside of the tank. I have been doing a 30 - 50% water change since then and have set up the temperature to 32 degrees. These babies are not eating at all and I am concerned. Can someone please let me know if they have faced such a problem and how they have gone about with the cure.

devonpond
07-25-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm guessing you used the tablet form available to vets?

Is it possible you overdosed your fish?

I haven't used that form that's intended for cats and dogs.

I would up your water changes for a few days (90% plus daily of aged water).

ArvindK
07-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for your response.

I did feed them the variety that was for dogs and am paying. I am using tetrabits, powdered down so that they can atleast get something to eat while being at unease.

After reading a post on dph.nl, I have started using epsom salt. This post very aptly describes the condition of my fishes.

http://article.discusnews.com/cat-02/swimblader.shtml

aquaticplantman
07-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Any chance they're not getting enough oxygen? Prazi reduces the amount of oxygen dissolved in the water. I learned that the hard way, but it's a simple fix -- just add another airstone or two.

-- Matt H.

April
07-25-2007, 09:32 PM
i believe..droncit is harder on them..it has other stuff. droncit has praziquantel..but not pure. use prazzi pro next time available from a lfs. safer. ive heard other people who had bad results from using droncit.

ArvindK
07-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks to all who responded.

All 4 have died. Nothing more to say.

renae
07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Sorry for your loss, hope you feel better soon.