PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect to see at a Discus Show

Discus-Hans
07-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Okay imagine this:

In 2008 there will be a Discus Show in the USA, you got something to say in this show, what do you want to see on that show, how many Discus should be in that show.

Where?

What?

When?

Who?

Why?

NOTE: I said IMAGINE :D

Hans

Squiggy
07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Okay imagine this:

In 2008 there will be a Discus Show in the USA, you got something to say in this show, what do you want to see on that show, how many Discus should be in that show.

Hans

I can "IMAGINE" pretty big... But then, from what I've seen, so can you...:D

Where?

Site selection is all important. The venue must be user friendly and the location attractive beyond the discus show. (i.e....local aquariums and other points of interest) Naturally, everyone would prefer it to be in their own back yard...so I'll go with Chicago. :D

What?

All things Discus....There are so many points of interest that can be covered at a show. From collection and shipping of wilds and its impact on the natural stocks/habitats to the creation of new strains and the struggle for perfection of established strains.....Throw in large and small system designs, equipment, methods, specifics on meds...etc...etc...
And of course, the discus....

When?

Summer is probably best. Its easier for people to travel and theres less chance of down time due to weather...

Who?

I'd love to see some of the South American Collectors/Exporters give a good powerpoint presentation ....

Why?

Hopefully, to come away a little better educated and more understanding of the discus...

Joe

dpt8
07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
How about New England area??

Jason
07-25-2007, 03:46 PM
WHERE? east coast

WHAT?Duisberg style show as opposed to Aquarama's for the competitions.
different awards for hobbyists/breeders and Importers/re-sellers

WHEN?2008

WHO?Anybody who wants to come, Vendors, hobbyists, even non-discus people, Hell bring the Stendker's

WHY?Why not? there hasn't been anything like this in N.America since the 90's, meeting and greeting people in person is alot different than over the keyboard.

tpl*co
07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I can "IMAGINE" pretty big... But then, from what I've seen, so can you...:D

Site selection is all important. The venue must be user friendly and the location attractive beyond the discus show. (i.e....local aquariums and other points of interest) Naturally, everyone would prefer it to be in their own back yard...so I'll go with Chicago. :D

All things Discus....There are so many points of interest that can be covered at a show. From collection and shipping of wilds and its impact on the natural stocks/habitats to the creation of new strains and the struggle for perfection of established strains.....Throw in large and small system designs, equipment, methods, specifics on meds...etc...etc...
And of course, the discus....

Summer is probably best. Its easier for people to travel and theres less chance of down time due to weather...

I'd love to see some of the South American Collectors/Exporters give a good powerpoint presentation ....

Hopefully, to come away a little better educated and more understanding of the discus...

Joe

Ditto, but west coast, maybe San Diego or San Francisco? Also, some stuff on discus foods and nutrition. I was really disappointed when the Tetra rep didn't bring Color bits to his table at the ACA! Perhaps ways of and leasons in preparing beefheart. (some of the ACA talks were very self promotional and kind of infomertial). Let's have the straight poop please!

Also, like above, more wilds :)

Thought of something else, what about instructions on planted discus tanks and how to do that vs. bb tanks?

Tina

April
07-25-2007, 04:06 PM
please just dont make it july...if anyone is "imagining" this..august . earlish..cause usa the kids go back to school earlier than here..
or september is great. thats just my selfishness...but duisburg is october..aca is july..and i wanna go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i say new england..or somewhere where its really scenic. but joe had some good idea. somewhere where theres a neat aquarium. wheres the one with the tunnel you go and the fish are over top of you. or the shed aquarium..i hear is good. or the spring. but all takes time to setup.
everyone.. yes bring on the stendker brothers..for a talk..or whoever is interesting. some pommies..or who knows..asians of course are great...canadians..well whoever is willing and able.

hobbyists..breeders,, wild displays or biotope displays would be cool. and maybe..a competition for a biotope aquarium display. thatd be fun..

when i used to do rabbit shows at the fair..we used to do a display to be judged with a trio of rabbits. it was fun.
a buddy system..for the people who have fear of strange places..foreign territory..and not knowing whats going on..lol.
easy guidelines to what do you do when you arrive.

Dkarc@Aol.com
07-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Where: Orlando, FL....close to Disney, great venues, etc. Make it a family vacation while you're at it.

What: Primary Discus show, but with other fish types shown as well (not just cichlids)...encourage the FTFFA farmers co-op to show.

When: Before ACA, but after the Duisberg/Aquarama time frames.

Who: All discus hobbyists, commercial sellers, breeders, etc. Along with the FL farmer co-op to show their stuff. Allowing the FL farmer co-op to show might encourage outside sponsorship to show as the FL farmer co-op is a big organization. They show very well at the PETS convention here in Orlando every other year.

Why: Just for the hell of it :D

-Ryan

Elcid
07-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Okay imagine this:

Where? Vegas
What? Sponsors Hoola Dancing

When? Low Season
Who? Breeders who the sponsor's represent

Why? So I can get some deals! :)

Hans

It would be nice if all the active sponsors have booths and I can hand pic fish, the best of the best! There should not be any "less than show grade discus ":)

April
07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
no there should be a childs class also..for the kids of the parents who get to tag along on the family combined holiday. even if its their beloved chloe the goldfish or betta. a prize thats child oriented.
disney world is a good choice..as you can get family package deals and direct flights cheap. off season yes is good.
ok..this is all coming togeather..lol.
ok if not florida..vancouver bc. : ) again..my selfishness. but vancouver isnt good at those kinda things..but heck..everyone can have a trial run to vancouver before the olympics in 2010. and whistler..is there..and vancouver aquarium..who i have been told..is about the best in north america. great amazon displays...
but it really wouldnt work..cause border issues. so forget that. : (

tpl*co
07-25-2007, 04:42 PM
no there should be a childs class also..for the kids of the parents who get to tag along on the family combined holiday. even if its their beloved chloe the goldfish or betta. a prize thats child oriented.
disney world is a good choice..as you can get family package deals and direct flights cheap. off season yes is good.
ok..this is all coming togeather..lol.
ok if not florida..vancouver bc. : ) again..my selfishness. but vancouver isnt good at those kinda things..but heck..everyone can have a trial run to vancouver before the olympics in 2010. and whistler..is there..and vancouver aquarium..who i have been told..is about the best in north america. great amazon displays...
but it really wouldnt work..cause border issues. so forget that. : (

I like your thinking! Disneyworld! (but then I'll be on Expedition Everest more than the convention :p)

Tina

Rod
07-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Hundreds of discus shown by the breeders themselves, thats what i would like to see.

America is so massive, at least in my aussie eyes, i just cannot believe a decent show cannot be held to rival anything the world has seen. Forget fish clubs and the aca, nada and other small thinking organisations and get the pet industry involved. If Australia can manage an international show with hundred + discus, then i would think America can as well.

yogi
07-25-2007, 05:57 PM
A two or three day show with at least 125 discus in 20 gallon tanks, and at least 6 classes. Also at a minimum 7 speakers. One on disease, genectics, amazon and water. The other speakers will talk about their facilties, water changes, breeding, importing, shipping and set ups. You also need a vendor room with supplies as well as fish. Some sort of scheduled tour or sight seeing trip and a semi formal banquet dinner or barbque for the awards. Then an auction.

Tad
07-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Okay imagine this:

Where?

What?

When?

Who?

Why?

Hans

Where: alternating from East, Cental and West Zones. Specifically in the East zone: NYC, Chicago and Atlanta , Central zone: Denver and Dallas and West zone: San Francisco or Los Angeles. All provide International Airports, and lots of recreational and social options for visitors. I like the family orientation where there are multiple things to do when not at the discus show/competition.

What: Multiple classification Discus competition show with awards either trophys and eventually monetary. To establish an educational venue for discus enthusiast. Provide keynote speakers from all facets of the hobby including commercial and hobbyist. Workshops in all facets of discus husbandry (food prep, water management, breeding, show preparation, fishroom construction, disease management, genetics etc), Discus sales and auction.

When: Summer

Who: Commercial and hobbyist discus enthusiast (general public welcome with daily fee admitance), Vendors representing all facets of fish husbandry and accessories. Speakers representing worldwide authority.

Why: to promote discus, to provide attendees an educational venue, and provide for an annual discus show/competition

Tad

Harriett
07-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Love your post, Tad.
Harriett

April
07-25-2007, 08:59 PM
definitely a place where you can get cheap direct flights for package holidays. some places you can fly very cheaply to..some places costly..if smaller planes going in or alot of people have to transfer. even new york would be good..heck id like to go to new york..
yes i know they have really good shows in australia..maybe you can get some hints from mr. rodney. they also have lots of fish auctions over there for traders and hobbyists to pick up fish and do trading etc. how about..getting someone like pijac on board or some pet industry company who puts on shows. here they do the wholesalers show..yearly. for the pet industry. but thats just for business'. but maybe they can have a trade show slash fish show. isnt aquarama part trade show for the pet industry? then of course..i can write it off for a business trip. : )

AADiscus
07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Where: Tulsa, OK - Centrally located for everyone. Easy to get flights here. Alot of people can actually drive vs. fly.

We have a great aquarium in Jenks (right outside of Tulsa).

I would say to have it open for anything and everything. Have the local clubs help with things but not run it.

I love the ideal of the kids putting fish in the show. Thats great!!

mjyp
07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
the where and when is easy

chicago

2k8 summertime

no more friendly town than the winduy city, lots to do after show closes, world class food, lodging and pretty ladies.

Harriett
07-26-2007, 01:34 PM
YES to Chicago! Centrally located, easy to get to, friendly inviting town, tons of cultural treasures, fabulous food, and there are a fair number of discus nuts here!

Darren's Discus
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I think a discus show should be exactly that plenty of discus on show
with catorgries for commercial breeders,private breeders and hobbyist that want to show their fish,There should also be plenty of Aquarium products on display all the latest and greatest things on the market. Oh Yeah and simply discus sponsors will get there flights and accomadation paid for !! What about it Al ????

cheers

Kenny's Discus
07-26-2007, 07:03 PM
Oh Yeah and simply discus sponsors will get there flights and accomadation paid for !! What about it Al ????

cheers

Darren, I won't be surprised if there'll be 100 new simply sponsors signed up by tomo LOL!:D ARE YOU READY YET?:p

Kenny

Discus_KC
07-27-2007, 08:48 AM
To me it doesn't matter where it's at, when it is, or what time it is.

It's all about making a committment to go. Whether you go to show a fish, buy fish, or look at fish, it's all about being there.

Excuses are so much easier to make than committments.

Jack

Kindredspirit
07-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Well said, Jack ~ :)

White Worm
07-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Monterey Bay Aquarium, summer, they do parties from 30-3000 people. You want the show to be beneficial to everyone including the facility. They make money so they would probably work out a deal. Its all about negotiation and making it worth their while. Advertisement and their business increases and it will attract many from around. It has to be a win/win. Whats fun about a room at the hilton? Nothing fish related. Could you imagine having andrew or jack doing a speech with the ocean as the backdrop or a huge exhibit? I'm sure there are places like this is other states so the first thing is location.

tpl*co
07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Monterey Bay Aquarium, summer, they do parties from 30-3000 people. You want the show to be beneficial to everyone including the facility. They make money so they would probably work out a deal. Its all about negotiation and making it worth their while. Advertisement and their business increases and it will attract many from around. It has to be a win/win. Whats fun about a room at the hilton? Nothing fish related. Could you imagine having andrew or jack doing a speech with the ocean as the backdrop or a huge exhibit? I'm sure there are places like this is other states so the first thing is location.

OOOH that sounds great! (only discus aren't saltwater fish, but OH Well!) Can you imagine having some amazon biotope tanks set up for display with wild discus in them? (but the water not so dark so you can see them, LOL). And then a display of domestic discus along side it. "Discus from the Wild to Now". Have some displays on the history and future developments of discus. Maybe something on wildlife conservation and info on where they are from and what is happening to their habitat now? (Maybe Heiko can give some info?)

Tina

Polar_Bear
07-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I also like Tad's ideas and Jerry's too. Hopefully something much bigger and better than this years extremely disappointing ACA show.

Mike_T
07-27-2007, 11:41 PM
what about an annual softball game where we all drink beer and team up against the malawi and victoria crazies?

oodi
07-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Good idea Mike... I'm up for that!!! Although, my bats and glove are a little dusty. ;)

Judi
:)

troyclark
08-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Where : Kansas City is pretty centrally located and of course they have a large airport. Plus its only a 2 hour drive for me.

What : Anything Discus related.

When : Probably early summer so all the kids are out of school making travel easier for those that have children.

Who : All Discus enthusiasts.

Why : To hopefully expand the hobby we all love and put alot of faces to screen names.

fishfarm
08-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi Guys, it could work, but there are two limiting factor, people to work the show and money, To put on a show with 200 tanks it'd cost minimum of $10-15,000 up front just to get the meeting space and the equipment, then you need 20-30 people willing to set everything up and dedicate their time at their own expense. Then there's getting people to enter, advertising, vendors, donations, organization, ect, ect. I'm in the middle of planning my second national show, I have 50 volunteers, we'll invest $25-30,000 before we get back anything in return. Luckly we are involved with a national organization with 1,000+ members and a history of putting on shows for 30 years, they don't all make money, the one this year most likely will not because of low attendance.
I commend Hans for even thinking of doing this and would gladly pitch in to help, but he'd have to foot the bill for the most part with no gaurantee enough people would show up to recoop his investment.
NADA's $3,000 would not go far. It could be prize money or pay for trophies.
How many of you would fly to Balitmore or Chicago for a week and work your *** off for free to make this happen?
How many would show fish?
Who would beat the bushes to get commercial vendors to rent space and donate supplies?
Contact overseas breeders and collectors and convince them this would be worth their while to spend thousand of their hard earned dollars to ship in fish and show them?
Who would put up the prize money or pay for awards?
This is just the begining, We start planning ACA conventions two years in advance. I've got less than a year and lots still to do.
There are many things that must be considered before making this kind of commitment.
Sure it sounds great, but it takes dedication, money and hard work to pull it off.
Ken

Don Trinko
08-02-2007, 08:49 AM
No sarcasm intended: I expect to see Discus. I live in Ohio and I would probably go to Michigan or Indiana, possibly Illinois or Pennsylvania, for a show but I won't be going to California.
Don T.

fredyk
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Don and Ken, these are extremely valid points. You would need a sponsor for the show to work out the details and finance it. This year's 2007 PVAS show will coordinate with 3 local clubs, cichlid, and planted tanks clubs to put on a unique show.

The club, PVAS, puts on a yearly show, and has the wherewithal to sponsor and fund a yearly show. Formerly, we've had 2 catfish shows with good attendance. And I think it pays for itself or makes a profit. There is a fish room, with 5 gallon tanks, for locals to display their fishes.

Likewise, maybe the ACA, could devote a yearly convention for discus, a few years hence, who knows?

good points, ken and don! To start from scratch, may be too much, but to get a club to sponsor a discus show, may work...eh?

Back to Hans questions:
why? vendors. I got a Stendker discus at a PVAS convention.. :)
Mark