PDA

View Full Version : hello from discus newbie

jmmontag
07-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Hello, Thank You for a great site with lots of info... I adopted a discus from a friend who could not take care of him properly. She decided if I can take care of a reef tank the discus should be in a good home. I sure hope I can live up to her expectations. I know I probably am not going about it the best way, but here goes. I have the 4-5 inch discus in a fully cycled 40 gallon high tank with an eclipse hood, and added sponge filter. It is a planted display tank with a gold spot pleco, and two small clown loaches. She told me he has always been in aged city water so I did not change the ph or hardness. I live in Manitowoc WI on the coast of Lake Michigan. I have an RO system for the reef tank, but to be honest if I change water every couple days I would rather use treated tap water if possible.
Questions maybe someone can help...:confused:
Robert ( the discus) came from a 240 gallon tank where he used to have 5 older brothers and sisters. He is the sole survivor. ( That is why I got him) I have had him for about a week and he seems to be sulking. Is he lonely or cramped?:( He enjoys chasing the clown loaches, but is very shy. He definitely enjoys watching his reflection. Is a 40 gallon tank big enough for more than one discus? Just wondering what some of you think. Thanks Jeanine

Tropical Haven
07-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Jeanine,
First of all welcome to Simply discus, we hope that you enjoy your stay. Congrats on your first discus, you can keep that discus in tap water as long as you treat it for chlorine and chloramines if your tap water carries them. Without any other fish in your tank you can keep 4 discus in a 40 gallon. With the fish that are in there you can probably get away with 2 more. Sounds like it is still getting use to it's new surroundings. I would get a few more discus for yours because discus do better in a group perferably 5 to 6 but with your size tank it would be too cramped with the size tank you have.

jmmontag
07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank You, I was considering adding more discus after about a month. I wanted to let Robert settle in and set up a quarantine tank yet. I am used to doing things very slowly with my reef tank. Since I have other tanks I can move all other fish out of the tank, but I like having plecos and loaches for obvious reasons. Will a 40 gallon tank be large enough when three discus are grown ? I had 5 angel fish in a 55 gallon, and two paired up. I may have to find new homes for the remaining ones. I am already thinking of turning the 55 gallon into a discus tank. I have about 50 julidochromis marlieri (drawf africans )to find homes for, and the angels If I do.
One more question if I add more discus should it be the same size as Robert? I am looking at sizing and I think Robert is fairly large. He is about three years old and almost the same size as a cd disk.
The friend I got him from told me you always loose some of the old fish if you add new. I think that was because she never quarantined.
Does everyone here usually keep a fully cycled empty hospital/ quarantine tank set up at all times?
I have lots of pets so I don't want this to get out of control... I just want Robert to be happy. Oh yeah I have no idea if He is a Robert or Roberta. I just picked a name. Thank You again, Jeanine

Tropical Haven
07-27-2007, 04:23 PM
A 40 gallon tank is big enough for 3 full grown discus. Personally since the one you have is probably around 5" I would introduce other discus close to the same size. Smaller ones will have the tendency to get picked on by the bigger one.