PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a QT tank?

thewarning
07-28-2007, 11:09 AM
What is needed for a Quarantine Tank? Obviously making sure the water paramenters are right and the use of a heater are required. What about a filter? Is it really necessary if you change the water daily? How long should you keep new fish there? Thanks

Blackwater Aquaria
07-28-2007, 03:59 PM
I would have to say you would set it up BB and run it like you would a regular set up I have 3 55 gal. tanks set up and running I also have a 10 gal if one of my Discus needs to be treated alone. The 55 gal tanks Ihope to have them with discus as grow out tanks. I hope this answers your question. Mike

mikesmac
07-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Hello thewarning,

It's always good to keep an extra spronge filter or two running in one of your established tanks so that if you do need to set up a quarantine tank all you have to do is transfer one (or more) of the filters into it and you're all set. Water changes really depend on the number of fish in the size tank you have and how much you feed them. If you have a good water source that is going to provide consistant parameters then you could probably get away without using a filter. If the tank is overstocked though and you are feeding alot, the water could be in constant good to bad to good to bad...etc. conditions which I wouldn't think can be too good for the fish, alot of ammonia can build up in a 24 hour period. Also...Quarantine is not just to make sure that your new arrivals don't have a visible problem, or don't get sick as a result of shipping...Upon getting new fish it is often the practice to treat them prophalactivly(sp?) for parasites and / or anything else you might be concerned about not wanting your previous fish to catch. That's why it can take 6 weeks or so in quarantine running through the process. Alot of the better known breeders have their own regimen they follow, you have to pick one that you are comfortable with.

Mike

thewarning
07-29-2007, 11:26 AM
How many new discus do you think I could keep in a 20g QT tank?