PDA

View Full Version : Bad reaction to Flubenol 15

kaceyo
07-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I copied whats below from my thread on BIDKA in the hopes someone here might be able to help. I know it's getting late over the pond. Since then I've done a large wc and am hoping things start looking up. I'd still like any info folks may have on bad reactions to Flubenol 15
Thanks,

About 3 hrs ago I added Flubenol 15 to two of my tanks. I've never used it before and am just trying it out as a test. One tank, a 29g and the one I'm having trouble with, has a breeding pair that were just placed together a week ago. I thought I'd use the F 15 to clean them up. Within 30 min of adding the med the female was acting very jumpy and skittish and within an hour was darkened with clamped fins and leaning severly. I added an x-tra airstone at this point. She's having to work a bit to keep from laying flat and is managing to stay half between flat on her side and upright. Fins are clamped and she is now very lethargic after the brief period of hipersensitivity in the first half hour. I did a 30%wc just prior to adding the med. pH is 6.8 and water used is 44ppm TDS. As I said, fish was fine prior to adding. Her mate seems a bit off but I think it's due to her behavior.
The other tank is a 55g with 5 adults and all are doing fine. Can't tell anything is different than before med was added
Now I'm thinking of doing a large wc on the 29 but wanted to know if anyone has had similar experiences with this med and what they can tell me about it. Are some fish sensitive to it or is this something that happens occasionaly?
Thanks,

Kacey

Elcid
07-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Hey Kacey:

Where do you get ur meds from? I had been getting them from this source:

http://65.254.55.18/index.php?cPath=1_2&osCsid=e85db0e273ea7476ef54daa8f0d71077

HTH,
Sandeep

kaceyo
07-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Sandeep,
I got the Flubenol 15 from DiscusSouth when I ordered the new discus book Trophy Discus. I get most of my others from either National Fish Pharmacy or Jehmco. I don't know of anyone in the US that carries Flubenol 15 yet.

FWIW, the female that had the reaction to the Flubenol pulled out of it within moments of doing a large WC and has been fine since.

Kacey

Cosmo
07-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey Kacey.. glad to hear she's doing good :)

russell
11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Flubenol 15 is great & safe. that is providing you get it from a REPUTABLE dealer/stockist. ask those that have used it safely where they obtained it from and go there..

kaceyo
11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey Russel,
I know DiscusSouth is a reputable dealer. I think it's like any other safe med in that there are always some bad reactions tho they may be very few and far between.
Thanks,

Kacey

russell
11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Thank's
I know both Discus South & Atlantis aquatics are excellent. I place regular orders from them. the service is first class!!!!! the shipping is no problem and have never had an order go astray.

Polar_Bear
11-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Kacey,
As you know, I use Flubenol 15 also from Paul. I have never seen that type of reaction to it though. My best guess is that you are correct, that particular female just had a bad reaction.

Hans Kloss
11-20-2007, 04:28 AM
FWIW, the female that had the reaction to the Flubenol pulled out of it within moments of doing a large WC and has been fine since.

Flubenol15 contains some ingredients, which promote flubendazole absorption through fish gills. They also can promote fish spawning, so I suppose them to be niacin and/or nicotinic acid (or related compounds). Sadly these ingredients can promote absorption of almost ANY substance into fish body, which can cause intoxication if toxins are present in water. Because of it I'm doing large WC prior to the medication and take care about perfect biological filtration and aeration.
Hans

Kindredspirit
11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I am glad she is going to be okay, Kacey!

Tell me ~ would you ever use this med again?

kaceyo
11-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Marie, I would use it again, but not on that female. Considering she was the only one that had any problems and the experiences of others I still feel it's a safe med. I would use levamisol over the F-15 tho, but not because of the reaction the female had.

Kacey

Kindredspirit
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks, Kacey ~ I have always wanted to get Flubenol 15 as well, incase I ever needed ~ esp since Paul and our friends across the pond use it ~

Diamond Discus
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
It's so interesting, just like certain people have different reactions to medication, so do fish. I can't use Levamisole on my Discus, they have a bad reaction to it. All 14 acted the same, dark, hiding in corners, nose tipped downward. I left it in for about 45 minutes then made 2 emergency high volume water changes, one right after another, and it still took them a week to get back to normal.

kaceyo
11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
That's interesting Sue. When I use levamisol the fish kind of perk up for a few days afterwards.

Kacey

Diamond Discus
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
That's interesting Sue. When I use levamisol the fish kind of perk up for a few days afterwards.

Kacey
I had used Levamisole on all other kinds of fish with excellent results like you experienced. I have only lost one fish, it was an Angel with Camallanus worms. The Angel died of internal damage from the worms, not from the meds.

Quite frankly I was shocked at the Discus' reaction.

steve.ryall
11-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Sorry to hear you had this trouble Kacey, I have used F-15 with all of my fish and had no reaction...to date. Maybe you just have a sensetive fish there, glad it pulled through ok.

Steve

kaceyo
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks Steve. I would have been truly PO'd if she hadn't made it. She was my only breeding LSS at the time. It was scary!!!
Sue, in your case, since all the fish reacted, I think it may have been something about the water that didn't mix well with the levamisol. Maybe some combination of parameters or some substance in the water combines with the med that make it much more toxic. We occasionaly hear about someones fish dieing, or nearly so, with meds that are known to be safe and are widely used. We can't rule out a mixup in manufacturing either. In the end, all we can do is guess.

Kacey