PDA

View Full Version : too much food!!!

alxjss
07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
OK, this guy is the bully of the tank. I have to chase him away so the others can eat. Well, fed them and started doing laundry, by the time i got back, looks like he ate it all. Now he is swimming funny. Should i just wait and see what happens, or should i put him in qt and use epsom salt? He is swimming hard, everything else seems to be ok. He is also slightly pointed down.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/alxjss/discus2072.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/alxjss/discus2071.jpg

Tropical Haven
07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
If he is eating like a pig then there is no reason to treat him. It sounds like to me that he is over eating. After everything is digested then he should be swimming normally again. Try using a egg crate divider in the tank to keep him seperated from your other discus so they can eat too.

AmberC
07-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I have lost one fish recently and nearly lost another to bloat. Mine always start out swimming head down with "jumpy" motion and fat tummy. Within hours, they end up belly up on the top of the tank.

If I were you, I would treat now.

alxjss
07-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I have lost one fish recently and nearly lost another to bloat. Mine always start out swimming head down with "jumpy" motion and fat tummy. Within hours, they end up belly up on the top of the tank.

If I were you, I would treat now.

ok amber. what do i treat with. Epsom salt? I did feed fbw's this morning. Ate way too much. Help!!!

alxjss
07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I just moved the sick guy in the qt tank. Dosed w/1.5 tbsp of epsom salts. Heat @ 88. Is that temp ok, or should i put it back to 84?
thanks

AmberC
07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
The advice I got recently was to match the heat to the heat of the main tank.. so whatever you keep the main tanks heater at.

I dosed at 3 tbsp per 10 gallons with my fish, but mine was also floating belly up by the time I treated.

You did 1.5 tbsp per how many gallons?

Keep an eye on it. It should start to take affect in about 4-6 hrs (if I remember correctly).

alxjss
07-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I put him in a 10gal. I uped the temp, but will bring it back down again,. I thought high temps were a good thing. Thanks. btw, i noticed slime coming off. Is this because of the salt?

AmberC
07-30-2007, 03:42 PM
No that wouldn't be because of the salt. You did add water conditioner right? Is your 10 cycled? Again.. so you did 1.5 per 10 gallons of epsom?

pcsb23
07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Let the temp drop naturally, don't worry too much about the slime for now. keep an eye on the fish and the ammonia, do daily w/c (twice ad ay if poss @50%) and always add dechlor. 1.5 teaspoon should be adequate with epsom salts. If its plain old bloat normally expect a result in a few hours ;) good luck.

alxjss
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Yes, I did a 30%w/c before putting him in, it is all cycled. The temp was 2 degrees more than the main. Would that do it? Will i see any massive feces coming out of this guy? And yes, 1.5 tbsp to the 10gal. oh, i forgot. I do use prime all the time.

alxjss
07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Let the temp drop naturally, don't worry too much about the slime for now. keep an eye on the fish and the ammonia, do daily w/c (twice ad ay if poss @50%) and always add dechlor. 1.5 teaspoon should be adequate with epsom salts. If its plain old bloat normally expect a result in a few hours ;) good luck.

thanks paul. I was gonna email u. Glad to see u dropped in.

alxjss
07-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Ok, i have had this guy in qt since 1pm today. I just did a w/c and found a big poop. It was fat, but not long. And red, cause i gave him tetrabits yesterday. What i noticed tho, there was blood in the stool. Is that ok or is it more than just bloat? When do i take him out? Should i leave him there overnite?
thanks

pcsb23
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I'd leave it be for now, don't add anything else except clean water, see how it is later.

alxjss
07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd leave it be for now, don't add anything else except clean water, see how it is later.

Paul, i just did a w/c and added more salt. Should i do another w/o salt?

pcsb23
07-30-2007, 05:56 PM
No leave well alone for now :) I'm sure it will be grateful for a little R&R and erm, relief :o

alxjss
07-31-2007, 05:40 AM
Well, the sick guy isn't sick anymore. Wow, that was weird. i am sooo glad u people r here for me. I would've had 2 dead fish.
THANK U ALL FOR UR HELP!!!:angel: