PDA

View Full Version : Tetra World Championship

Elcid
07-31-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't know if you guyz have already seen this but if you didn't enjoy :)

http://www.mondodiscus.com/discus/it/articoli-mondodiscus/tetra-world-discus-championship.html

take care,
Sandeep

Condor
07-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Those are sweet.

Adrian:)

Tropical Haven
07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Those are some awsome looking discus but I just have one concern. Why when someone asks to rate their discus that everyone wants to mark off the sunken chin on the discus when a couple of the 1st place champions have a big sunken chins. So my question is why is everyone on here always degradeing a discus on here for it but yet ones win a world championship with them?

Greg Richardson
07-31-2007, 01:32 PM
Scott. I also noticed the humped forehead on one or two.
Beautiful fish indeed!

alpine
07-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the link. Roy Khoo's second place Solid Yellow kind of stole the show for me.

roberto.

Jeffrey_Yang
07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
I have to agree with Roberto. Saw the fishes personally at the Tetrashow. And Roy's solid yellow certainly stood out! Amazing colour and always graceful and posing for the picture perfect shot!

Have to mention that the first place for the patterned category which is the Pigeon Checkerboard is a stunning fish too!

Perhaps the pics didn't do justice to the Grand Champion. But the moment this fish was benched in... most of the contenders i know had no doubt for it to win the GC title. And it certainly didn't disappoint us.

Regards,
Jeff

Ed13
07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Those are some awsome looking discus but I just have one concern. Why when someone asks to rate their discus that everyone wants to mark off the sunken chin on the discus when a couple of the 1st place champions have a big sunken chins. So my question is why is everyone on here always degradeing a discus on here for it but yet ones win a world championship with them?
Please don't misunderstand, the intention of the University judges is not to degrade or put down a particular discus but rather to compared it to the "ideal standards" or those characteristics they consider desirable traits in quality discus. The weak chin distracts from the roundness factor so it is a flaw. Judging it this way it should bring forward the pluses the fish has vs the flaws

In most shows the fish are awarded points and the one with the most points win. So in a way they are being chosen as close as the one individual fish nears perfection(or the perfect score) from the candidates. The folks from the university are judging one fish agaisnt their standards. In other words the University looks for quality and tells you what are those desirable traits, a show looks for the winner or the fish with less flaws at that show

At least this is the way I see it.

BTW, I also liked Roy's fish.

Tropical Haven
07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Ed I agree with what you are saying and trust me, I am not trying to make this a war statement. I am just confused because most of the winners in the world championships have very weak chins so if this is a flaw I would think out of all the professional breeders in the world that none of them would show a discus that had a weak chin then if that was the case. I wish that there was some place on the internet that would tell you what the major rules are of judging discus so we all know exactly what judges are looking for. There has to be a standard in writing somewhere.

Rod
07-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Nice link sandeep :)

Ed13
07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Ed I agree with what you are saying and trust me, I am not trying to make this a war statement. I am just confused because most of the winners in the world championships have very weak chins so if this is a flaw I would think out of all the professional breeders in the world that none of them would show a discus that had a weak chin then if that was the case. I wish that there was some place on the internet that would tell you what the major rules are of judging discus so we all know exactly what judges are looking for. There has to be a standard in writing somewhere.
No problem Scott, I share your frustration. I've said a couple of times now that some of our members have fish that seriously surpass some "champions"
As to why they are shown, well maybe the rest of the fish is so good that it offsets minor flaws? maybe it wasn't as important to the particular breeder or judges?, overlooked by the judge? maybe there were no superior fish? All speculations on my part. I just wanted to mention that the goal of the University is to attest quality and share that knowledge of what makes a superior discus based on the collective criteria of those in charge of the University.
One thing though, in our part of the world, Asian Breeders in the past have been accused of focusing too much on the pattern to where they sacrifice shape and size for color and pattern. I belive is a bad generalization but it's been said none the less. I can however name a known Breeder from which I don't like any of his discus shapes to the point I would not spend a penny on them but the patterns and colors are really impressive, I will refrain from naming him though even if he is not a member here.

Maybe the lack of international standards is the problem?

Hopefully some more experience member can comment on the subject. Any member of the University care to comment? Rod, Liz, Joe....

Elcid
07-31-2007, 06:48 PM
It's my impression that every class of fish has their own standard by which it is judged and every judge has his own standard superimposed on that standard but I have no idea really :)....

HTH,
Sandeep

Condor
07-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Had to take another look and yup, they're still sweet. :D

Adrian

Darren's Discus
07-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Sandeep,
thanks for that one of my favourites is tony tans second place winner in the albino class,I have seen that fish before it always reminds me of a seagull white body red eyes very cool.

cheers

Rod
07-31-2007, 07:34 PM

I think i can see the ones you are considering have weak chins, but i don't think its a major flaw. A minor one yes, but not bad enough to rule it out as a competition discus. I would have only knocked a few points from 100 for that flaw. The big issues that are looked at is color and pattern, overall shape, and rarity. A slightly flawed solid yellow discus will score better than a perfect red turquoise every day of the week( the WOW factor), i don't think that is the right way, but it is the way it is.

The first time i went to a major international show i was immpressed by the quality (although not the sizes) until i started visiting breeders in Singapore and Malaysia. I quickly realized that the vast majority of breeders do not enter, and the fish we see at the shows are mostly entered by dealers and exporters and are not the best around.

I've entered discus in quite a few local shows over the years, but i have never taken my best fish. No way would i risk valuable genetics for a fish show, i wonder if other breeders think this way.

Rod

Elcid
07-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Sandeep,
thanks for that one of my favourites is tony tans second place winner in the albino class,I have seen that fish before it always reminds me of a seagull white body red eyes very cool.

cheers

Hey Darran:

Good eye! Everytime I look at that fish I think of giving my friend "Kenny" a call but then I remember the PRICE aspect and then I think maybe I should just print out the pic and stick it on one of my empty tanks ;)...I hope Liz will update her pics soon :)

thanks,
Sandeep

Darren's Discus
07-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Sandeep ,
I think the cheapest way to keep discus is to get a 4ft get about 10 pictures of the best discus laminate them and create a mobile in the tank,just think no feeding no poop ah yeah and no fun !lol

cheers

Elcid
07-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Hey Darren:

Super good idea, maybe a laminated show winner will get my females to spawn ;).....Now that I'd like to see!

thanks,
Sandeep

Darren's Discus
07-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Nah sandeep,
just pour a 6 pack of beer into the tank always works for me !

cheers

Elcid
07-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Nah sandeep,
just pour a 6 pack of beer into the tank always works for me !

cheers

Hmm, good idea but can I drink one first ;)....

thanks,
Sandeep

Darren's Discus
08-01-2007, 12:35 AM
Sandeep,
only 1 otherwise it will lose it's effectiveness !

cheers

Henry_Goh
08-01-2007, 03:39 AM
nice pics... thks for sharing

Tropical Haven
08-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Now that I think about it, I can see that someone wouldn't want to show their best especially if it got over stressed and ended up dying. What was said does make sense to me and at least this clears things up for me. Thanks everyone for giving me your input on this matter.

Elcid
08-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Sandeep,
only 1 otherwise it will lose it's effectiveness !

cheers

I hope it doesn't have to be Aussi beer?

thanks,
Sandeep

Greg Richardson
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Scott. I understand your concerns.

In an upcoming newsletter that NADA is doing one of the articles is on showing your fish.

I have seen some of what is going into the article.

I believe after reading this article it will take away a lot of the concerns hobbyist have in regards to stress related problems as the article covers preparation, as well as showing your fish.

I saw some of the info going into that article I haven't seen before anywhere.
I was very impressed with what I read.

This is just one more reason to join NADA as they are recharging their batteries after going through the usual growing pains most organizations go through.

AmberC
08-01-2007, 05:22 PM
OH wow.. would I ever love to have one of those solid yellows! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing Sandeep :D

fishmama
08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Agree...second place yellow and second place albino my favorites by a long shot! But what the heck is that advertisement at the top?! :-()

AmberC
08-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Agree...second place yellow and second place albino my favorites by a long shot! But what the heck is that advertisement at the top?! :-()

LMAO!! I was so wondering that same thing!!!!

Kindredspirit
08-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I had to go back and look...and well, yup! That is what it is:D

Eddie
11-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Old thread but I am still gawking over these beautys!

My favorites:

Red spotted Fine-Line category
2nd - Chan Kok Eng (Singapore)

Pattern category
3rd - Lee Tong Juan (Singapore)

http://www.discusclubsg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=31&Itemid=2

Wish I could have been there!

Also, check out the progression of the different shows. Some of the fish in 1999 and 2000 are SUPER nice!!!

Eddie

prolude006
11-05-2009, 09:47 AM
I have to agree that some pictures don't show a discus correctly and can be deceiving but many of the show discus I would mark off more for things that seem to be overlooked. I look at that grand champion fish and the first things I notice in the picture is the fish has good color, pattern, size and a terrible shape because of the forehead so I would immediately rule it out if I was a judge as there are better looking fish overall which I am sorry that if I were a judge that it would be the case for one flaw.
Another tangent here is that I disagree with people breeding for high body/bulldog shapes as I feel these fish are horribly ugly and unnatural looking, that being said some people like different things.

My favorites in order:
3rd - Lee Tong Juan (Singapore) terzo pattern
2nd - Goh Hua Kwee (Singapore) second red spotted
1st - Chuah Wei Peng (Malaysia) primo solid blue