PDA

View Full Version : Does 1 sick fish equal all sick fish

FishyMatty
08-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I lost all my fish (so I thought) a few months back due to some bad advice on treating camillanus worms and after cleaning the tank out a few times I decided to give it another go ahead with discus. I got some beautiful 5"San merahs from brewmaster and all is going well.
Just today I noticed an apisto swimming around in the tank. I thought I lost all my fish so I was completely amazed and surprised to see this fish is completely bloated and scales protruding. Dropsy?
Any way what course of action do I take to ensure my discus don't get sick?

AmberC
08-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Well I would start with getting the infected fish OUT of the discus tank ASAP. If you have another tank 10-20 lying around.. that would be a great place to stick it.

As for treating it.. I'm not sure.. but definitely keep a very close eye on the rest of your fish. If that fish is still alive after loosing all your others from disease.. there could still be something going on in that tank as it was not disinfected correct?

Amber

FishyMatty
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I did remove the sick fish, he was too far gone and my hospital tank has two baby discus in it so I had no place to put him. I euthanized him. Any suggestions for how to preemptively treat my discus to prevent any sickness?

brewmaster15
08-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Matt,
Clean water is key here, and be sure to siphon any uneaten food....

hth,
al

Tropical Haven
08-02-2007, 08:59 AM
I agree with Al, keeping your water in your tanks clean you should never have problems as long as your discus didn't come with anything.

pcsb23
08-02-2007, 05:23 PM
As you have started with healthy stock, keep the tank clean and be diligent with the water changes. That will give them the best chance.

Kindredspirit
08-03-2007, 07:07 AM
keeping your water in your tanks clean you should never have problems as long as your discus didn't come with anything.

This should be a BANNER....Posted somewhere:) Bumper sticker, Tee....something ~ somewhere ~

Number One Rule Of Thumb.....:)

If every one could remember this ~ what a better tank it would be:)

FishyMatty
08-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I do 25% water change at the end of every day. I also do a huge water change on the weekend. They seem to be doing very well I was just worried because of the sick mystery fish.