PDA

View Full Version : Breeding pair terrorizing other discus....!!!

sophie68
08-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Hi all,:p

I am looking for some advice regarding my 80 gallon. I only have 5 discus in it: 4 are adults or at least sub adults and the other one is still smallish. When I was away on vacation, they all grew (even though they were getting less food and only 1 weekly water change...). What is more, one pair formed and I got eggs on the heater upon my return. Of course, some of the eggs did not hatch but some did and I saw some fry for a couple of days. Anyway, since then the couple in question is terrorizing the other discus in the tank. They are basically claiming about half the tank just for themselves!!!!!! One fish is constantly hiding and another one stays in the corner all day. What should I do? I am worried as I will be getting 3 new discus in about 2 weeks. What will happen then???? They will be quarantined for at least 6 weeks but still, their final destination is my 80 gallon. If you have any idea as to what I could do to reduce the aggression, let me know!!!!

Thanks!;)
Sophie

Polar_Bear
08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Purchase a 29 gallon tank and put the pair in it.

Tropical Haven
08-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Polar is right, place the pair in their own 29 gal tank since they will need their own space from now on. Since you are getting more discus it may also be a good idea to purchase a 55 gal tank as well because it may start getting a little cramped in that tank.

kaceyo
08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Agreed, they need their own 29g. You can use a divider as a temporary fix if getting the 29 poses any problems, but a seperate tank is the only thing that will work in the long run.
Congrats on your new pair,

Kacey