PDA

View Full Version : Not eating

hohm44
08-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Hello, all. I've had 5 discus, approx 3 inc size, for nearly 3 weeks. 4 of them are eating well, one is not eating. This one seemed the most timid from say one. It behaves fairly normally, hanging around the others most of the time, but is also more prone to hiding than the others. When I feed them, this particular one sits back and just watches the feeding frenzy! It then seems to pick at a scrap here and there afterward, but is taking in very little. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Don Trinko
08-05-2007, 06:56 PM
I spread the food around so that no one fish can hog all the food.
It's also possible it has some minor health problems. I had one like that. I treated with Gel-Tec (the one with metro, prazi and flubanol) and it started eating fine. I'm not a fan of medicating with no known disease but it worked. Don T.

hohm44
08-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I just noticed segmented yellowish feces under this fish now. Does that narrow things down at all? Also, I pretty much need to treat this in the 55 gallon tank (planted) so I can't raise the temp any more, it's already around 84.5 degrees.

Don Trinko
08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm not an expert but I think that is a tape worm or other worm. Prazi Pro or similar meds will kill most worms. The gel tec I mentioned will also but the prazi is more specific and probably safer for the fish. Don T.

pcsb23
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
A picture may help to confirm, but it could be a tape worm. Prazi is a safe bet, if so.