PDA

View Full Version : Trouble subscribing to threads

kaceyo
08-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey Ryan,
Starting yesterday (Sat) or late friday the "Add Subscription" feature quit working. Actually, the "Thread Tools" options won't come up at all when I click on it. I havn't gotten any new post notices e-mailed to me either in that period of time.
Any idea what may be causing it?
Thanks,

Kacey

P.S. I did just get a couple of notices ie new posts in subscribed threads so scratch that part of it.

Polar_Bear
08-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Kacey,
I think it's you... well... your computer. I have Thread Tools and just subscribed to this thread. Post here and I'll let you know if I recieve e-mail.

kaceyo
08-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Larry,
It could very well be my computer. It had been working fine tho and I've never had any probs with it before this so I thought I'd ask in case there had been recent changes made or something.
I'm getting e-mail notices now so thats not a problem.
Thanks,

Kacey

Ryan
08-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Kacey,

I didn't change anything on Friday or Saturday. Does the drop-down menu for "Thread Tools" show up at all, or does nothing happen when you click it? This could be a java issue or something to do with the way your browser is loading threads.

What browser are you using, and is it up-to-date?

Polar_Bear
08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Kacey,
I got e-mail that replied to this thread. So I think you may have to think about looking at your Security features in your browser.

kaceyo
08-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Ryan,
No, it doesn't drop down. The "Search" right next to it doesn't work either. It's probably screwing up at my end as I get a notice saying I have "performed an illegal operation" when I try to use them.
I'm using Internet Explorer via Comcast.
Thanks,

Kacey

Ryan
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
If the drop-downs don't work, it's usually a sign that the page isn't loading fully or something has been disabled in Java. I haven't made any changes to the templates or files here in over two weeks, and the drop-downs work fine on both IE and Firefox for me.

Have you tried upgrading Internet Explorer (if yours isn't current) or downloading the latest version of Java for your computer?

kaceyo
08-06-2007, 11:48 PM
My old system won't take anymore upgrades, lol. It's a dinosaur that should have been put down long ago. I'll play with it from this end and see if I can't get it working again.
Thanks,

Kacey

Apistomaster
09-01-2007, 04:05 PM
I have had the same lack of notification for months although I have the boxes checked for it. I just work around it. I have diagnosed my system to the extent I can do it safely myself and can't seem to regain the degree of functionality I initially enjoyed with IE7.

However,(and I know little about Windows XP) I originally used Internet Explorer 7 then after about six months most forums including simplydiscus would allow me to look, even log in but not post. I would get "invalid session" messages after submitting a post.. Tried Netscape as my browser and everything is working. I had 500 posts on planetcatfish alone using IE7 but I can only post using Netscape now. So maybe trying a different browser would help solve some problems for you as well.
Many people seem to have issues with IE based on some of the subjects that come up on the Google XP News Groups.

I never have figured out why I don't receive notice of new posts on subscribed topics anymore. I do receive them from all other sites I participate in.

Ryan
09-01-2007, 04:29 PM
I never have figured out why I don't receive notice of new posts on subscribed topics anymore. I do receive them from all other sites I participate in.

Do you use an e-mail with spam/junk filters? Mail from our webmaster account often gets filtered as spam. You'd have to set up your account to add our address to your safe list.

Apistomaster
12-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi Ryan,
I still don't receive any notices to the threads I subscribe to.
Simplydiscus is on my authorized e-mail list and I received a Happy Birthday message from simply today; the first message I have received in many months.
This is the only forum out of over dozen that I do not get notices to subscribed threads. Many fish forums, computer forums and so on.
I have double checked my preferences and my computer settings and can't find any reason why my problem is limited to only this site.
I don't use any antivirus scanning on e-mails because that is not suppose to be necessary according to the Windows XP forum Gurus.

Ryan
12-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Larry,

Go to User CP, click on Edit Options, and scroll down to the section called Messaging & Notification. There is a drop-down box for Default Thread Subscription Mode. Is yours set to "Instant email notification"?

Ryan

Polar_Bear
12-31-2007, 03:40 AM
I don't know whether or not this will help, but I am subscribed to this thread and recieved e-mails which is why I am here. I think Ryan is on the right track in that there is something wrong in your user CP.

Apistomaster
12-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Larry,

Go to User CP, click on Edit Options, and scroll down to the section called Messaging & Notification. There is a drop-down box for Default Thread Subscription Mode. Is yours set to "Instant email notification"?

Ryan
Not anymore. I made the checks per Ryan's suggestions and I'm back in business. I had lot's of notifications today.
I suspect when I added my avatar and sig, I must have also accidentally made a change that unsubscribed me from receiving notices. Everything is fine now.
Thanks for your help, Ryan.

Ryan
12-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Glad to hear it, Larry. It's easily overlooked - most people don't realize that in addition to the options below each reply box, there's a master option in the UserCP.