PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for all this stuff?

KJoFan
08-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Just curious what some of you fellow hobbyists would pay for this list of stuff:

(8) 55 gallon tanks (see details below)
(1) 30 gallon tank with glass top
(1) 29 gallon tank with glass top
(1) 5 ½ gallon tank
(1) 2 ½ gallon tank and glass top
(24) Sponge filters (Ultimate Sponge)
(8) Submersible water heaters (STEALTH HEATERS - 6 @ 250W, 1 @ 200W, and 1 @ 150W)

(10) Digital thermometers (added 2 more to the total)
(1) Alita Air Pump (can easily handle 24 sponge filters, probably handle 35-40 sponge filters)
~ 300 feet of clear air tubing

(4) air leads – (one has 20 valves, another has 12 valves (both purchased from Kens Fish) and the other two were homemade that work great and they have 5 valves and 4 valves)

(2) stands that will hold all 8 tanks.

(2) 50 gallon water drums

(2) automatic timers

(1) power strip

(1) 20 Long deluxe top and light (great condition, used for 1 month)

(2) Large nets (~6”)

(1) Water changer and pump (Quiet One 3000) and 30 feet of ¾” hose

LOTS of aquarium books –

The Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Problem Solver

Complete Encyclopedia of the Freshwater Aquarium

A Fishkeeper’s guide to Aquarium Plants

A Complete Pet Owner’s Manual – Discus Fish

Aquarium Fish

The Everything Tropical Fish Book

The Guide to Owning - Tetras

The Guide to Owning – Malawi Cichlids

All about Discus

A Complete Pet Owner’s Manual – Lake Malawi Cichlids

A Complete Pet Owner’s Manual – Lake Victoria Basin Cichlids

A Complete Pet Owner’s Manual – Lake Tanganyikan Cichlids

Complete Pet Owner’s Manual – The Tanganyikan Cichlid Aquarium

Breeding Freshwater Fishes

The Complete Guide to Aquarium Fishkeeping

The Tetra Encyclopedia of Freshwater Tropical Aquarium Fishes

*Baensch Aquarium Atlas - Volume 1 (VERY COOL, tons of color photos) $50 each new

* Baensch Aquarium Atlas - Volume 2 (VERY COOL, tons of color photos) $50 each new

Here are the details:

4 of the 55 gallon tanks are very new, roughly 6 months old or so. No scratches that I am aware of, very clean and very nice (there was never any gravel in them). 2 of the tanks have the black trim, top, and lights. The other 2 are the light oak color. All four come with the “deluxe top and light” which is the plastic tops. They are pretty nice, they don’t break like glass does and are a lot easier to clean. All four come with a single strip light which is 40W.

The other 4 tanks are used and are in a expected used condition. I think you have seen them and know about what they look like. You will get glass tops with all 4 tanks and the following lights. (2) 36” single tube lights, (1) 36” twin tube light with only one light working at this time, could probably be fixed so both work, and (1) 48” twin tube light that works good.

KJoFan
08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
nobody?

Greg Richardson
08-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Used tanks from .50 to 1.00 a gallon.
Stand depends on the type.
Used heaters no more then 10.00
Sponge filters depends on condition. Probably 2.00 a piece.

The air pump find out how much it costs and take 50% off.
Water pump the same.
Drums $5.00

All the books and other stuff like timers, power strip, that has no value to me.
You are going to have to figure out if they interest you.
Small stuff is usually just throw in.

Darren's Discus
08-08-2007, 01:10 AM
For all second hand equipment and tanks i would not pay more than half new price !

cheers

tpl*co
08-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Are those acrylic or glass tanks? (just wondering from your comment 'no scratches'). Acrylic in good to excellent condition can go a little more than the glass, but I agree with the $1 a gallon rule stated before. Books may bring you more on ebay.

Tina

KJoFan
08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
The tanks are glass tanks so I figured $1/gallon on those. The stands are homemade racks, I've seen them. The sponge filters are all probably in good condition, some haven't been used I know, the heaters are all probably 6 months old or less. The books and little stuff I don't care about, he's just trying to get rid of some stuff. But wants it all to go together. The stuff that I want/need is the air pump and accesories for that, the storage barrels and pump and some of the filters and heaters and thermometers. I could use about half of the 55 tanks and one of the racks possibly. Selling the books on ebay or something is a good idea, hadn't thought of that. :)

I guess I'm just having a hard time deciding if it's something I should purchase or not just because I can't put to use everything like all the tanks. But at the same time it seems silly to pass it up if it's a good deal, seeing as how I'll probably be buying half the stuff anyway, at least the higher dollar things like the air and water pump. And I know the guy and know his stuff is all in good shape.

So while I know it's all up to the individual and what their needs are, just thought I would get some input from you guys.

April
08-09-2007, 12:00 AM
well...for sure if the books are in good condition..and you take the rest..grab them. sell them on ebay. books are easy to ship.
you might be able to recoop enough to pay for alot of your stuff. you could also do bundles of used items.on ebay that you dont need.

KJoFan
08-12-2007, 10:31 PM
So to wrap this up, I got everything in my original post plus a 50 gpd R/O unit for $875 delivered. :)

Ed13
08-13-2007, 12:04 AM
So to wrap this up, I got everything in my original post plus a 50 gpd R/O unit for $875 delivered. :)
I normally don't like used stuff(a usefull life thing), but $875 WITH delivery doesn't sound bad at all!

Now that is all down, take your time. Make an inventory, sell what you don't need/want/or want new, inspect the stand and other equipment and repair as necessary, bleach everything you can, paint tanks and stands as necessary, get new filters and RO prefilters and check the membrane, etc
Assemble, take pics, get discus, take pics, breed them and get pics of the fry, feed them, take pics, change the water and take more pics:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

LizStreithorst
08-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Wow, You happened upon a great deal. Congratulations!

billeagan
08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
great deal!

KJoFan
08-13-2007, 01:59 PM
I normally don't like used stuff(a usefull life thing), but $875 WITH delivery doesn't sound bad at all!
Considering that the distance between he and I is a 2.5-3 hour drive! Granted, he couldn't get everything in one load this time but he's coming through on a business trip in a few weeks and bringing the rest. :)

Now that is all down, take your time. Make an inventory, sell what you don't need/want/or want new
I have the list he sent me of everything, I'll get that out when I unpack and check things off as I find them definitely.

inspect the stand and other equipment and repair as necessary, bleach everything you can, paint tanks and stands as necessary,
The stand was put together last night, but I won't be using it quite the same way so I think I need to reinforce the legs a little, give it a wider base and more support.

I scraped off the ugly black paint on the tanks last night too. Now they'll get repainted light blue and bleached tonight, hopefully. :D

get new filters and RO prefilters and check the membrane, etc
I don't even think I'm going to use the RO filter right now, I don't have a need for it at this point. I'll do an RO/tap mix when I get some pairs and want to breed them. So that will probably sit idle for right now. It's not a top of the line system but since he just threw it in the deal at no extra cost, I can just use it until it dies and then get something different I figure.

Assemble, take pics, get discus, take pics, breed them and get pics of the fry, feed them, take pics, change the water and take more pics:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'll have to remember all that picture taking. I have the discus (more on the way :D), then I'll have to sit and wait for them to grow up and pair off and by that time I'll surely have worn my camera out!

KJoFan
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Wow, You happened upon a great deal. Congratulations!

Heh, I didn't even happen upon it. It was offered to me. Then, if I didn't want the deal he would offer to others or sell on craigslist etc. It was all entirely too easy! :D