PDA

View Full Version : It's ALIVE!

Ryan
08-07-2007, 08:53 PM
After months of waiting, my 150 gallon is up and running. I have absolutely no room left in here. Between the tank, the desk, and the bed, my entire room is full.

John at Jehmco was out of the titanium heaters I wanted so for now I'm stuck using the VisiTherms. I'm also two sponges and one AC110 short because the AC110 has been damaged in the mail (twice :mad:) and the sponges were on back-order.

But, at least it's up and running. I'll put some test fish in tomorrow or Thursday and once the rest of the filters show up the discus will get moved.

Oh, after I spent all that money on the canister, I decided not to use it for now. I'm just going with a simple setup (sponges and AquaClears) until I get used to doing maintenance on such a big tank.

Ryan

Polar_Bear
08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice big tank Ryan, congrats!

Ryan
08-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Nice big tank Ryan, congrats!

My discus are going to look so tiny now :laugh:

Thanks.

mmorris
08-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Really nice Ryan! When can we expect to see discus in there? Martha

traco
08-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Holy smokes, Ryan!! That tank is huge. Can't wait to see the finished setup with discus in there. It will look great.

Kenny's Discus
08-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi Ryan, your tank is absolutely beautiful and I think you can put at least 20-30 juvies in there!:p Thanks for sharing and those chosen will be some very lucky ones.

Kenny

Ryan
08-07-2007, 10:07 PM
All this time I've only used sponges because I've been doing 100% w/c daily. Now with the increased filtration I'm going to be cutting back a little on the w/c amount.

All I need now are the rest of my filters and it'll be ready for fish. I hope to have the discus in here by the weekend :)

One of the things I love about this tank is that it looks so much brighter. That's probably thanks to the double bulbs. I hope it really brings out my fish.

Here's is a before picture. This is the 55 gallon with the discus. No, that's not poop, it's bloodworms. :)

Kindredspirit
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
One of the things I love about this tank is that it looks so much brighter. That's probably thanks to the double bulbs. I hope it really brings out my fish.

Yes it does! I have double lights on my 55gal....Two long strip tubes, I guess they are called....64 watts total, I think....It was always so brighter and better than my other 55gal lights!

I am jealous, Ryan:mad: And I am not a jealous person over anything...lol! I want your tank!!

I really want this 65 gal tank I saw:( I am so tired of this small 55gal....

So ~

Are you keeping the 55gal up? Or did I miss that? lol! That 150 looks HUGE!

I want it.:)

Tropical Haven
08-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Nice tank Ryan, I always keep my tanks simple when it comes to filtration.

phidelt85
08-07-2007, 10:50 PM
LOL, Ryan, that looks like my tank minus the driftwood. Congrats on the big tank. I can't wait to see your babies in there.

Jose

April
08-07-2007, 11:06 PM
wow ryan..cool. you had to outdo my big tank by 25 gallons eh.. well very nice. cant wait to see your fishies in there. are you getting more fishies to go in with them? well congrats..its been a long time coming. you need to expand your room...knock down a few walls..slide your parents out of their room or something.

Ryan
08-07-2007, 11:14 PM
wow ryan..cool. you had to outdo my big tank by 25 gallons eh.. well very nice. cant wait to see your fishies in there. are you getting more fishies to go in with them? well congrats..its been a long time coming. you need to expand your room...knock down a few walls..slide your parents out of their room or something.

If the county would make up their mind about zoning I could start building my house.

Until then, the 150 is the biggest tank I've got room for. The stand is sitting on a wood base and I've got a piece of 3/4" plywood on the bottom rack, so the 55 will probably go there for now as either water storage or raising out babies. I still have hundreds of kribensis growing out.

I will take some pictures once the fish go in :)

Darren's Discus
08-07-2007, 11:52 PM
Ryan,
jealous as hell that is one big tank,looks great plenty of room for the fishy's.

cheers

Ardan
08-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Nice!:)
Looks good Ryan

Ardan

Jason
08-08-2007, 11:34 AM
lookin' good Ryan!

have a look at the new aquamedic titaniums, I just picked up a couple and I'm really impressed by the quality.

AADiscus
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
That looks great. Can't wait to see pictures of your fish in there!

Condor
08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Very cool, Ryan. What are the dimensions on that?

Adrian

Ryan
08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Very cool, Ryan. What are the dimensions on that?

Adrian

Adrian,

It's 72" x 18" x 28". But with the stand it's almost as tall as me. I had a really hard time putting the heaters in yesterday even with the help of a chair. lol

Ryan
08-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Alright, the discus are in the tank and they do not like it. :laugh: I hope they come around in a few days.

The krib juvies and the ABN, on the other hand, love it.

Mike_T
08-08-2007, 06:18 PM
they looked pretty happy in that 55...don't you hate when that happens? :P

AmberC
08-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow Ryan its gorgeous!! :D

Truth be told.. I like the visitherms (same ones in your pic) and have them in all my tanks. Never had a prob with one ever!

Amber

tdr1919
08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Ryan,
Maybe they dont like all the extra water pressure!
awsome tank, good luck!
If you are going to do 100% changes you would have to quit your day job! probably take 8 hrs to drain & fill!

- Tom

Ryan
08-08-2007, 09:06 PM
No more 100% w/c. I think they're done growing, plus the filtration is a lot better in this tank. I think it'll be more along the lines of 30 - 50%. That's manageable. Plus I have well water so it's free, and I don't have to treat it :D

Amber, I'll probably end up keeping the Visitherms because they were a pain to put in. I had to stand on a chair and pull them out with kitchen tongs just to adjust the temp. I can't imagine having to pull them back out and install new ones. LOL

Kindredspirit
08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow Ryan its gorgeous!! :D

Truth be told.. I like the visitherms (same ones in your pic) and have them in all my tanks. Never had a prob with one ever!

Amber

Except you can't tell if they are ON:mad:and working!

Ryan
08-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Except you can't tell if they are ON:mad:and working!

Actually, these aren't VisiTherm Stealths. They are the original VisiTherms with the light on them.

Of course, you can always get a digital thermometer and that'll let you know if your heaters are working. Mine just has a little probe that suction cups to the inside of the tank, and the indicator suction cups outside. Mine's constant at 84F right now. :)

Ryan

Kindredspirit
08-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Amber, I'll probably end up keeping the Visitherms because they were a pain to put in. I had to stand on a chair

How does one clean a tank this size, Ryan? Get in it:D

Ryan
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Well, I have 10 ABN plecos for the glass, but I also bought a magnetic algae scraper and some of those long scrub brushes from the LFS. I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom.

Kindredspirit
08-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Wow! I can not imagine! I would fall in!:o

Ryan
08-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Here they are, eating their first meal in the new tank. Notice how much brighter they are in this one :)

Kindredspirit
08-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Now Ryan, you have to use three heaters? That tells you just how big that tank is! What are the sponge filters up top? I have never seen them in that position before?

Have I?

It looks great, babe! You are one lucky man:)

Ryan
08-08-2007, 11:29 PM
They are prefilters on my AquaClears.

pcsb23
08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Well I guess its about time :) Looks excellent too! Ryan those discus have grown out really well, you should be very pleased with your self. Now you need some more :D

Cosmo
08-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Ryan,

Give some extra thought to the titanium heaters. I had the 500 watters and they got so hot they formed air bubbles on them... the Discus thought they were eggs and got all confused :p The fish always seemed to want to spawn on them too :confused: poor little eggs never stood a chance :(

I replaced the two 500's with four 250 stealths and it's been working fine. Only downside to the stealths is they won't go up over 90/92 no matter how high you set the controller.

So.. which controller did ya get??

Jim

phidelt85
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, I have 10 ABN plecos for the glass, but I also bought a magnetic algae scraper and some of those long scrub brushes from the LFS. I have to stand on a chair to reach the bottom.

I feel your pain, I'm 5'8" and the top of my tank is at about shoulder level with me. I use the step stool and long scrub brush method as well. I've been thinking about adding my other three ABNs but I don't know how the two big males will react to each other.

Ryan, your tank looks awesome! Congrats!!!!