View Full Version : FEEDING/FILTERS

Clyde
08-08-2007, 04:02 PM
I am hoping to be getting my first discus shortly, and I was wondering. My tank has a Fair amount of water agitation, its a 150G with a fluval FX5 and a DIY wet/dry with a Magdrive 9.5 pump.

My question is how many of you with heavier filtration like this shut off your filters during feedings? I really can imagine a lot of the foods such as a beef-heart mixture just clogging my pre-filters.

Mark

Tropical Haven
08-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I turn mine off during each feeding and as soon as they are done I turn them back on.

FishyMatty
08-12-2007, 11:48 PM
really you turn off the filters? In my planted discus tank I feed small bits at a time so almost nothing touches the ground. But I will put a bunch of tetra bits in before work so they can pick all day.

Mark - just be aware that discus do not like heavy current if any. If your using any type of power head that won't work.

Troy Williams
08-13-2007, 03:57 AM
I use pre filter sponges over the intake pipe & clean them in a bucket with tank water each water change for my grow out tanks & every third day on my holding tanks. HTH

Troy.

Clyde
08-14-2007, 02:56 PM
No I don't have any power heads. I do have have a Fluval FX5 and a sump/wet-dry with a mag-drive 9.5. So I do have a significant turn over. I have the outputs arranged so there are not any heavy direct currents, but food would definitely end up in the filters if I left them on. I also do need to fit the intake of the FX5 with a sponge, it will have to be fairly course. The wet-dry intakes are the reef-ready inside the tank over-flows.

At any rate I am currently shutting off both filters during feedings and it seems to be working out well. I was curious if others using canister type filters were doing the same.

Clyde

Harriett
08-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I have an FX5 and an Eheim Pro II 2026 on my 180g, so it also has a fair amount of current. I have big sponge prefilters on the intakes. I feed EVERYTHING my guys get through a feeding cone that I have enlarged some of the bottom holes on [I melted larger holes into it]. The food stays put until they come up and grab it--I feed FBW and color bits through it--nothing clogs up on the prefilters and there's no mess. I only feed BH right before a water change in this tank.
Best regards
Harriett

Clyde
08-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Harriet thank you those are great tips. So you have a conventional sponge filter, commonly used with an air stone plumbed to your canister intake? Thats an awesome idea I love it.

Clyde

Clyde
08-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Harriet what size sponge filter do you use? I would imagine you would want something rated at 600GPH to be on the safe side no? I cant find filters of that type rated in GPH.

Thanks again
Clyde

DavidH
08-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey Clyde, don't know if this will help.
It's my filter set-up

Clyde
08-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Nice set up David, that cabinet/canopy is gorgeous, I love the ship windows. Is it a custom built?

I believe I will go with the regular pre-filter like yours. I have plenty of filtration already, no need to take up any more tank space.

Clyde

DavidH
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey Clyde, yeah I made it about 20 yrs ago. While stationed at Ft. Ord Ca.
About $300 worth of oak. My first and last attempt at woodworking.
The portholes gave me heck!!
Here's a pair of snakes I had in it a few years back.

Dave

MHTan
08-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I am hoping to be getting my first discus shortly, and I was wondering. My tank has a Fair amount of water agitation, its a 150G with a fluval FX5 and a DIY wet/dry with a Magdrive 9.5 pump.

My question is how many of you with heavier filtration like this shut off your filters during feedings? I really can imagine a lot of the foods such as a beef-heart mixture just clogging my pre-filters.

Mark

I turn off my filtration system during feeding...if pellet food, then i turn it on again once they finish eating. If BH mix, i perform a water change first before turning on the filter.

I have a 50G tank w/ RIO1100 powerhead connected to a 3FT OHF box. My discus doesnt mind the current.