PDA

View Full Version : Newbie trying make it right?

jmmontag
08-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Hello, I am a newbie trying to fix things. I have three young discus in a 40 gallon tank. The tank is a planted year old tank that used to have guppies. It now has three med size Discus I got a week ago. I realized the three Discus should go in a bb tank. I have a 55 gallon that will be a bb Discus tank. I have a couple questions if any one can help. I now realize I should have got more info before I ever agreed to take my friends discus:(
I want to have more than three discus in my tank. The three I have currently are little terrors. Two have ganged up on the third. Is there a way to stop this? If I get a few more now should I put them in the new 55 for qt? Then add the three I have later? If I get 5 more can I keep 8 in the 55 for a while? Can I then put a couple in the planted 40 gallon when they are older and I am more experienced? My husband just thinks these guys have me wrapped around their fins:p
I never understood why anyone would go through all this extra care for Discus before. It is much more work than my reef tank!
I keep wanting a little ecosystem like my reef tank. These Discus are little piggies! It just won't work:confused:
I keep hearing conflicting info about qt tanks. If you go with a cycled tank it should be done fishless to reduce any possible cross-contamination? You should get several at the same time to reduce cross-contamination? Will you overload the system if you add too many at once? Will daily water changes make up for not having a fully cycled tank?
I have someone in mind to get the discus from. I will try to ask him questions too. I am sure the sponsors want their babies to go to good homes;) Thank You for any info you can give, Jeanine & the three discus

White Worm
08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I realized the three Discus should go in a bb tank.
Yes, younger ones need clean water and lots of food.

I now realize I should have got more info before I ever agreed to take my friends discus:(
Yes, most of us jumped in before doing the research also. Dont feel bad, you are not alone. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Two have ganged up on the third. Is there a way to stop this?
More discus to dispurse aggression more evenly. There will always be the low man but more discus means that one wont take the brunt all the time.

If I get a few more now should I put them in the new 55 for qt?
Yes, always QT new arrivals.

Then add the three I have later?
Yes, after Qt, add them all in the 55g tank. Do it right after bedtime when the lights are out so the transition is easier when they all wake up in the morning.

If I get 5 more can I keep 8 in the 55 for a while?
I would get 3 more and eventually have 6 in the 55g

Can I then put a couple in the planted 40 gallon when they are older and I am more experienced?
Yes, they are much more forgiving when they get older but you will want to put a pair together if you are just thinking a couple.

My husband just thinks these guys have me wrapped around their fins:p [/QUOTE}
If they dont, they will.
[QUOTE]
If you go with a cycled tank it should be done fishless to reduce any possible cross-contamination?
I keep extra seeded media from a healthy tank to use for a new tank/QT/breeder when needed

You should get several at the same time to reduce cross-contamination? Will you overload the system if you add too many at once?
Yes

Will daily water changes make up for not having a fully cycled tank?
Yes, until the cycle catches up. Water conditioner, lower pH and salt also help.

I have someone in mind to get the discus from. I will try to ask him questions too. I am sure the sponsors want their babies to go to good homes;)
Make sure you get your discus from reputable sellers/breeders

Jeanine & the three discus
Cool band name :)

jmmontag
08-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Hello, Thanks for the advice. One more quick question. If the person that sells the discus says they are guaranteed as long as they are qt and kept separate from current livestock can you still use seeded filter media from an established tank? Would that disqualify the guarantee? Jeanine and the three soon to be hopefully six discus...

White Worm
08-10-2007, 12:15 AM
If you have a healthy tank, I think you are safe using established media. There is no perfect answer but some of us dont have patience so waiting for a tank to cycle is sometimes not on the menu. No matter what QT is used, there is always still the chance of sickness unless you never mix them or equipment. A good breeder will guarantee live arrival and one the has morals will do the right thing if there are other issues within reason and within a decent amount of time.

jmmontag
08-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Thank You very much. I contacted the breeder I want to get the discus from. He stated that the 10 day guarantee is void if I seed with current filter media. It makes sense if he can't be certain my stock is disease free. I had an extra sponge filter and extra bio media ready from the current tank, but I will go with the fish less cycle. I found pure ammonia, and may look into bio-spiro. It is very difficult for me to wait. I have the 55 set up in the living room. I swear the discus are looking at it from across the room saying " Come on already!"
To be honest it has been my experience that if a breeder is willing to guarantee then I don't have problems. I did learn a lot with the reef tank. I will keep up 50-75% water changes daily for the three in the planted 40 gallon. They will have to wait until the new tank cycles, and the new discus are done with qt. They act like a bunch of Divas. I understand why they are the Queens of fish. They demand to be treated like royalty.:o