PDA

View Full Version : Disaster!

Terrybo
08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
After keeping discus for about 15 years without a serious problem, it finally happened. A heater and thermometer both malfunctioned at the same time and I came home to an aquarium of dead discus!:cry:

I can't believe it - they were so beautiful - I raised them from tiny babies! I don't know of any place in Houston to get small/young discus anymore. I'm trying to decide whether to switch to some other type of fish or sell the tank.

Terry

pcsb23
08-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Its always a sickener when something like this happens. It very difficult to eliminate the risk too, maybe run 2 smaller heaters is one way. I'm really sorry about your loss.

Don't rush into a quick decision, clean the tank up and give it a few days, you may feel differently then. There really is nothing quite like discus imo.

Take care.

brewmaster15
08-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Terry,
I agree with Paul... I have had it happen to me...its a sad sad thing to deal with.

I'd get back in the saddle and stick with discus...I am very biased though.

hang in there,
al

Tropical Haven
08-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Keep with the discus, get back into the saddle and ride into the sunset.

April
08-11-2007, 01:26 AM
thats very sad. terrybo...dont stop with the discus..surely theres some about...
is that a viszla on your avatar? if it is..good choice in dogs. : )

Condor
08-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Terry, sorry to hear. I went "other than discus" before, and ended up with a bunch of fish I didn't want! :D Like Paul said, give it a couple of days. Starting over can be fun.

Adrian :)

Kindredspirit
08-11-2007, 09:19 AM
I am sorry to hear this, Terry ~ that must have been devasting ~

Hang in there and try not to make any decisions based on emotions only.....15 years is a long time ~ Discus are in your soul....

tbrat
08-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Terry so sorry for your loss....It is heartbreaking to hear or even think about a loss like this since it could happen to any of us at anytime and probably has.
I'm new around here but things like this,... one never wants to hear or know that someone else is going thru that pain.
Hope you hang in there and try again...Till then tho, please do take care.
brat

Terrybo
08-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys.

My discus were so big and nice. They came rushing up to the side of the tank to greet people, and would take food from my fingers when I was feeding them. Since they were raised together, they never fought or picked on each other. (First group I've ever had without any bullies). I'm so sad about losing them.

And I know you are right - if I get some other fish I'll just eventually want discus again. There really is not another fish like them.

Terry

(And April - yes that is a Vizsla in my avatar - they are awesome dogs).

Cosmo
08-11-2007, 04:59 PM
What a bummer :angry: Had something similar happen to me about 25 years ago.. came home to a tank of floating fish pieces.. heartbreaking :cry:

You said a thermo and a heater went together? What setup were you running?

Hang in there

Jim

wolfbane
08-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Oh no Terry! I'm saddened to hear about your tank. What a loss. Please don't chuck it all in yet, give yourself some time to regroup and try again! Isn't Dan going to restart his hatchery at some point? Maybe someone else is breeding nearby?

SuAsati
08-12-2007, 12:26 AM
many make the mistake. always split watt and
have two heater so no one take over and boil the water.
it is good practise.

MHTan
08-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Terry, very sorry for your lost.

Discus in houston area - try http://www.gulfcoastdiscus.com.

Dan has an amazing collection!

Terrybo
08-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Dan is who I normally get my discus from, but he sold off all his stock and went to the Phillipines for the summer. I'm not sure when he will start up his discus again.

I saw some decent fish at the LFS. Old fashioned turquoise discus - one of my favorites. I may take the plunge.

Terry

Ed13
08-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Dan is who I normally get my discus from, but he sold off all his stock and went to the Phillipines for the summer. I'm not sure when he will start up his discus again.

I saw some decent fish at the LFS. Old fashioned turquoise discus - one of my favorites. I may take the plunge.

Terry
Check out Kenny @ International discus, he just got an incredible shipment in of the most wanted and exotic discus, but he can also get you anything you want at affordable prices!

devonpond
08-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I can highly recommend the Otto controller to tell your heater when to go on or off.

Still 50%-off.

Particulars in this thread:

Link (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=54098&highlight=otto)