PDA

View Full Version : What is on my fish?

FishyMatty
08-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I recently noticed little white "bugs" in the substrate of my tank. After research I believe them to be copepods, but I'm not sure. I did a few huge water changes and vacuumed the substrate and cleaned the glass and they were almost all gone. I went away for three days and I had my fiance feeding only 1 small feeding per day and this morning when I got home I noticed there are more now then there were before and now they are on my fish. If the fish swim away fast the bugs fall off but anytime they go into the plants to look for some food they come out with some stuck to them.
What is this? Is it bad for the fish? How can I get rid of it?
Also please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure they are copepods but its really all I can figure.

Ardan
08-11-2007, 07:37 PM
It could be planaria in the substrate, but on the fish? A pic might help.

Ardan

FishyMatty
08-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I honestly don't think my camera will get them but I will try. I know its not ick or fish lice because I can brush the bugs off with my finger. They don't mind so sometimes I brush them off but they will usually fall off if the fish swim fast.

brewmaster15
08-12-2007, 03:09 AM
copepods:) common and harmless in most cases Matt. You may want to step up your water changes on a regular basis and be sure to keep your filter substrate well maintained.

hth,
al