PDA

View Full Version : help!

rppr21
08-11-2007, 08:55 PM
you guys think i can feed the frys with plankton, insted use brine shrimp? or need to be brine shrimp.?...it kind of to much work and waiting for the shrimp. its any thing else that i can use to feed the frys? please help....thanks, tony.

tdr1919
08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Tony,
I tried to use frozen food instead of the live BBS. I tried the frozen baby brine shrimp, and frozen plankton. The fry did not grow well and I lost almost all of them.
I bought the Sanfrancisco brand brine shrimp breeder. It is a plastic base the you scew a 2 liter soda bottle into, add air, water and a pre-mix bag of eggs and salt (4 bags come with the kit), it couldnt be easier, I bought 2 setups, in 24 hours I have BBS, I use a 8" piece of 3/8 clear tubing, hold my finger over the top, insert into the bottle (to the bottom) release my finger, the water with BSS
come up into the tube, put my finger over the end of the tube and take it out and dump it into the fry tank, they go nuts eating those little guys. The LFS sells the Sanfranciso pre-mixed bags, its about a buck a bag, I use a setup for 2 days, the morning of the 2nd day I start the other breeder.
Tom

Upper Canada
08-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi Tony,

I cannot see an easier method than BBS, and since the end result will justify the effort expended anything easier for the keeper than that, such as frozen, powdered etc will probably give you an unsatisfactory result. BBS is an established protocol which manifests the optimum results.

Bob

rppr21
09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
thanks guys. i been have lot of loses..since i did the brine shrimp way...but i found out on the hard way i must start with the egg yolk or artificial rotifera...afther they start freee swiming i feed them with bbs but only 4 make it...i was reading arrownd the forum and i found out that they need some first. since may bbs still to big for the first day......About the bbs way i can say that , what i do now is make a nice amount of it and them frezz them. so i dont have to be make them so often. i apriciate for ur concer guys.....thanks tony