PDA

View Full Version : More questions any help?

jmmontag
08-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Hello, I have a couple more questions. I realize my discus should be in a bb tank. I have a new 55 ready to go, but it was suggested that if I were to get more Discus I should qt them in the new tank. This is fine. The question is how long can I keep my current three discus in my planted 40 gallon before it is detrimental to their health? They are lfs fish, but look just like the breeder fish I see posted here ( got them from a breeder in Chicago who ships to lfs) Either way I want to do what is right for the existing discus too. Could I just set up the 55 and put the original discus in? Then set up another tank later for the new ones? I found I can carry and sneak in 55 gallon tanks without my husbands help...:p
Maybe I am just having a hard time looking at an empty tank every day. I do 75% water changes a day, but these guys are piggies.
One more question how do you get them to realize they can eat other food besides cbw? I love the ones I have as much as the ones I want to get...What do you think? Thank You Jeanine and her three discus

Polar_Bear
08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Jeanine,
Since you are doing 75% water changes every day, if it were me I would move your 3 existing discus into the new 55 gallon immediately. You will need to keep up with the wc's though, especially since the tank is apparently not 'cycled" yet. Let them get settled in and let the tank cycle for about 2 months and then add the new fish.

I have had the same problem when feeding CBW. The way around it is to stop feeding CBW and only feed them what it is you want them to eat. They will probably not eat for a few days, but once they are hungry enough they will start eating again. In order to prevent it happening again, only feed them CBW as the last meal at night.

jmmontag
08-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Thank You, The problem is that the breeder of the fish I want will only guarantee if the new fish go into a new tank cycled fish less. It will be easier to move the existing fish into 55 since I can move the sponge filters/driftwood potted plants with them. I would have to start over getting a " virgin tank" ready. The fish I have now I have only had a week. They got spoiled fast. How long can med size discus go without eating? I tried not feeding for a day, but I gave in.
They have settled in well, and come to the front of tank when they see me. I am doing 75% a day because I keep thinking the 40 is too small/ dirty. I have read many horror stories of loosing discus in planted tanks.