PDA

View Full Version : Discus strains question

maestro
08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Hello,

I joined up a few years ago but havent posted since, I currently have a reef tank but im researching and planning on starting up a discus tank, not sure yet whether to buy youngsters and grow them on or whether to buy an adult pair, my long term aim is to have a planted tank with a a pair of discus, loads of plantes and a shoal of tetras, medium size around 60-70 gallons

Anyway I was wondering, is there a website that has pictures and information on the different strains available? im more interested in the natural looking discus, not really into the domesticated bright colours.

Also ive heard wilds are harder to keep then tank bred, is it possible to buy tank bred that are still wild colours?

Don Trinko
08-14-2007, 01:29 PM
To look at different Discus varieties search for "discus" many of the dealers have photos of what they sell.
I also like the "wild" varieties. Some of the domestic varieties resemble the wild. Red spotted Green is one I can think of. Don T.

kaceyo
08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Discus Page Holland has a section with dozens of pics of various strains oof discus. I don't know if it's staying updated but it should be a big help either way.

Kacey

Polar_Bear
08-15-2007, 12:57 PM
I find that keeping wilds is not more or less difficult than keeping domestics (I have both). Both do best when given clean water often. There are strains of domestics that do resemble wilds in many ways, Turquoise, Red Turquoise, and Cobalts come immediately to mind.